• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is anyone else as daft as me?

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going away for the day soon.
Getting ready I checked my "rabbit card" was still in my purse & easily seen.
It says that in event of accident, there's an unattended rabbit who needs urgent feeding at my address, where the spare key is - (neighbour) - vet details & vaccination status.

I wondered if anyone else carries a "rabbit card" with them?

Yes :oops:. If I'm going to be out all day, I always make sure they've got enough hay and water to last at least a few days, just in case help doesn't come quickly enough.

I don't call us daft ................ I call us sensible :D.

I'm going away for the day soon.
Getting ready I checked my "rabbit card" was still in my purse & easily seen.
It says that in event of accident, there's an unattended rabbit who needs urgent feeding at my address, where the spare key is - (neighbour) - vet details & vaccination status.

I wondered if anyone else carries a "rabbit card" with them?

That is a fabulous idea!!! :thumb: I will be doing that in future!!! :wave:

no but my dad asked me to make him a mum card, explaining where my mum is and that she needs 24 hour care, in case he drops dead whilst out shopping.

Yes :oops:. If I'm going to be out all day, I always make sure they've got enough hay and water to last at least a few days, just in case help doesn't come quickly enough.

I don't call us daft ................ I call us sensible :D.

I actually agree with you Mackers & I'm delighted to hear that you do this too.
I'm actually travelling by train & should be back in the early eveing & should be away for 14 hours.- It's a total of 6 different trains, & I was ensuring that a rabbit card was in my inside coat pocket well in advance.

I always have one permanently in my car & in my purse, & nobody shall stop me from doing so.
I felt a bit daft because the chances of a rail accident are negligable, & I was even thinking in terms of getting separated from my belongings!!

My own situation is more like Honeybun's Dad -getting older & could be taken ill. Even if I was younger I'd do the same. Yes, I also leave far more food & water than is necessary for my absemce.

The emergency servies consider patient identification a priorty & we usually know who the patient is on arrival at the hospital. What I don't know is how fast they contact the RSPCA to rescue an unattended animal. I always assume that nobody knows that rabbits can'r go without food/water for even 12 hours.

Then I thought that in the event of an accident, those close to us eg parents, who would pop in & see to the rabbits if we were delayed, might be in such shock, as to forget the buns & just want to get to us ASAP.

No, but it's a great idea. Thankfully I live with both my parents and sometimes my brother, so there will always be someone who knows unless something happens on one of the rare occasions that we all travel together.

Maybe I should make one.

No I don't but I think I should get one! Also one to explain my M.E

Yes, there used to be medic alert necklaces, which don't look too bad, more like a locket.
They're mainly for drug interactions & sensitivity/diabetics. I forget to wear mine. :oops::oops: We could use those for rabbit alert too.
thanks for reminding me. I'll be good from now on. :lol:

What does it look like?? Size?? Laminated??
Good idea....I spend alot of time in my car.In event of an accident no one would know I have the cats, bunnies and Parrot....

Yes, there used to be medic alert necklaces, which don't look too bad, more like a locket.
They're mainly for drug interactions & sensitivity/diabetics. I forget to wear mine. :oops::oops: We could use those for rabbit alert too.
thanks for reminding me. I'll be good from now on. :lol:

:lol: naughty! :lol: I want one to say that I have M.E and if needed I don't want any drugs containing adrenalin (like anesthesia) and that I'm prone to episodes of confusion/inability to talk/collapsing

I haave an "in case of emergency" note in my purse that says we have animals at the house that will need tending. RSPCA used to do a proper card for it but they stopped.

That's a good idea. Would it be wise to keep it near my driving licence? I thinking that the emergency services wouldn't continue to search around in my purse after finding out who I was?

Hopefully your ICE contact on your phone would remember to tell them. Mine has a spare key and knows about the buns but I always leave plenty of hay and water just in case of a car accident (I'm not keen on driving but very grateful that I can). Might make a card though- hadn't thought of that. Will put pics of the buns on it.

I have an Emergency information card

It includes allergies, medical conditions, that I have pets at home and who to contact in case of emergency to take care of the pets.

I have at home in the fridge (the fridge is an easy thing to find usually in the kitchen there is normally only one fridge in the house and it is big so easy and quick to spot) in a container more Emergency information re the people who live in the house including the animals.

What does it look like?? Size?? Laminated??
Good idea....I spend alot of time in my car.In event of an accident no one would know I have the cats, bunnies and Parrot....

My rabbit cards are home made, just from blank postcards cut to size. The one in the car is more permanent. Double sided selotaped to front passenger side, at the front of the glove compartment. There some very thin left over perspex taped over it to keep it clean.

You're right Captain Helen they don't search through everyone's things at the scene of an accident, once we've established identity, but do try to secure things like bank cards,& valuables so that's a good place to keep a rabbit card. Some form of I/D is usually in a patient's clothing or handbag.
We also look for clues about a patient's religion eg RC's may need the last rites.
In normal circumstances, 2 nurses make a written inventory of all a patient's possessions, (very thorough) as soon as the patient has had emergency care, & immediately sent to the hospital safe. So that's fast, less than an hour after arrival.

If we're overloaded with a lot of serious injuries at once, everything is put in a sealed labelled plastic bag, kept on the trolley with the patient, & sorted out on the ward. Unconcious patients are sent to a ward very quickly.

In all my years in an Accident unit I have never known of a patient carrying a "pet alert card". In my own situation it's absolutely essential.

Back