• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating toilet roll tubes

katie88

Mama Doe
Every week I give my 2 a toilet tube each stuffed with hay. They both seem to like eating the hay from it so I refill them twice a day. Marbles tends to have a couple of nibbles of the tube but nothing significant. But Misfit tends to eat quite a lot of it. This week she has eaten almost the whole thing :?

Misfit has had stasis in the past, and used to be a big newspaper eater, so I'm assuming this is linked. Can anyone help me understand why she's doing this, and should I stopgiving them to her? I don't really want to stop as they enjoy them, but I'm also wondering if it's her way of telling me things still aren't right.

I can not give Julie the toilet paper rolls or any paper either as she will eat the whole thing. It was suggested that rabbits love to rip up telephone books. Julie ate that too. Any paper or cardboard she treats as food.

Last edited:
My Bella is like this. She's OBSESSED with eating paper. And she acually gets excited about it and eats it, she sees it as food :shock: I do give them a toilet roll tube every once in a while as they do love playing with them (before she eats them lol), and it's never done her any harm. Would never give her a cardboard box or anything like that though. It'd be gone within a few hours and she'd probably end up with a blockage :(

That's exactly what it is, like she just sees it as food! She used to eat so much newspaper I had to stop using it. But yet she's a terror for not eating hay!

I just wonder if it signifies that her tummy still isn't quite right.

amy is the same its anoying i have to supervise her with anythign cardboard including her box house :roll: i only put it in for a bit but have to take it out of it would be gone and she probably get a blockage too :cry:

Fidget tears the newspaper I put down in her cage and eats it. She also eats bits of toiley roll tubes. It has never caused her any problems though - she's in fantastic health and has got to 7 without illness so I've concluded that it can't be doing her much harm. If I removed everything that she would eat she'd have nothing left to play with :lol:.

Back