• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on the Aberdeen bunnies.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Olga, the possibly pregnant bun was spayed on Wednesday, it wasn't as straight forward as hoped and the vet nicked a bit of her small intestine. He stitched it up and gave her a course of antibiotics longer than normal. She is eating, but only forage, possibly some hay but its hard to know. She is passing some dropping so we hope she will be OK, I guess its just a matter of time to see how she copes.
Ebony, the aggressive bun is very overweight and today I felt a mass in her tummy beside her bottom. It was a pocket due to the fat and was full of pooh. I've cleaned it out and at least know to keep an eye on it.
Dorita seems to get quite a dirty bum regularly and also looks a bit stiff in the back legs, so does Domino and Clara- I do not know if this is due to inbreeding or lack of exercise. Domino also has some oldish scabs on his body and testicles, I can only assume he has been with another rabbit at some point, he may well have been the male to get to Olga ( although we were told it was Radish).
We had a lot of volunteers today, some of whom helped collect the bunnies and they could see a difference in their demeanor, more relaxed, interested and some lying completely stretched out. Some are OK at being handled and some are quite nervous ( even grumpy). I would love to keep them all but they will go to a better home and we cannot afford the time, space or money to go up to 30 rabbits.

I have changed some of the names-
Emo is now Hugo ( a cheeky little chap who is staying)
Kelvin is now Radish ( a little flufster- staying)
Tyson is now Domino ( I think the smallest adult rabbit I have seen and not sure as to how physically healthy he is- staying)
The 2 grey un-named girls are Olga and Ola.
Hairy Mary and Sister are now Clara and Martha.( both very flighty and staying, Clara looks odd on her back end too)
My friend is taking Cleo.

Best wishes to them all. I have a soft spot for Clara, who I think is the REW lionhead and so a bit like my Spenser.

I have to wonder if these bunnies are less interesting because they are not in atrocious condition or if it's because they are so far north it doesn't matter, but if anybody else had posted about 17 bunnies being kept in poor conditions and solitary confinement, I wonder what the response would be?:(
I am really disappointed in the interest these buns have been given.
I'm not even asking people to donate to us but to the rescues who take in the rehomable ones.

I was wondering how these bunnies were doing, so pleased they ended up with you although I should imagine it is a lot of extra work for you, I am loving the name changes

I wonder if the stiff legs are due to lack of exercise, we have had that problem with bunnies we have taken in that have been kept in confined spaces

Well done Louise, you are doing a brilliant job

I can understand your disappointment but you're doing a great job with the buns, that's the most important thing. :thumb:

I will keep an eye out for updates.

Thanks guys, I do wonder why I bothered to post an update, only a select few seem to care. I thought buns in need were all the same but it appears not. A bit peed off to be honest!

Last edited:
I'm interested in the bunnies and love to hear about them.
I think what you have done is incredible and Please please keep us updated! X

You know intearested hun ....I know how much more work these are given u....I have found this a lot with any rescue up here on here ....think folk should reliese the lonley life these poor bunnies was in and the size of cages they have came from...I am doing everything I can from them at this end ...think others should understand these bunnys are not in the best of condition and need help ....each one them I'd going to take a lot oof work and money to get them even fit to be rehomed and next weekend some of them are being moved again to rescue spaces who have offered to help. So come on folk show us Scottish rescues\ sanctury that you support our work aslo ....ok of my soap box. Now but I can see why halfpennys angry

I've just read back to find out about their story as I've been away and it's so brilliant that you rescued these darling buns. I have fallen in love with Megan, she's adorable! :) It's such a shame their owner was poorly, but that doesn't excuse them being kept in poor conditions. I hope they continue to improve in your care, and they find homes as and when they are ready :) wish there was something I could do to help, but I'm about 200 miles too far South I'm afraid!

I love to hear about the Halfpenny residents, I've been really busy too lately so missed this until now, sorry.

Also when I did a fundraiser for Paws Here on here and Edinburgh rescue there was a fantastic response and we raised over £100 :D All thanks to various members from different parts of the UK and even Europe in one case. I think it all depends on who is online when threads are at the top of the list.

I haven't been on as much recently but I know you will be doing a great job. Is there k thread to their original story I don't think i saw it

I think what you do is wonderful Halfpenny. We need more people like you in this world. Being so far away in Canada makes me feel quite helpless in these types of situations. Not to mention being financially strapped but believe me you make a huge difference! So thank you for being there for these bunnies. :wave:

I've been following but don't always post as sometimes i'm at work.
I'm glad the buns are doing well.
How would one go about donating to halfpenny? And also where are you based?
I live near Glasgow and was kinda wondering if you'd be too far away for me to come and help you's out?
pm me if you want, then it'll go direct to my email and i'll get it quicker :)

I've not been around for ages......so missed it all.
I'm really glad they are all safe and sound with you :wave:

I took Ebony to the vet yesterday to be checked over. She has a pocket on her tummy, just above her vulva and it fills with pooh. The vet thinks it may be an ongoing issue that may improve with weight loss but will always be a problem.
Today I took Mistletoe in, she's not eaten greatly since arrival but today hadn't poohed much and had a bit of mucosy stuff on her bottom. She's had meds and looks to have eaten some dandelion. She has a couple of small spurs on her teeth but the vet feels they are unlikely to cause issues. I did have a rabbit who passed mucosy stuff and it turned out she had a mucometra, and I really hope it's not that.
2 more buns down tomorrow for accessment in the morning, and another 2 in the evening.
Fingers crossed they have no issues.

Back