• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I being silly?

Flopsie

Young Bun
I brought my bunny home today (8weeks old)

Since coming home she has being sleeping/resting for the majority of the time. She has drunk about40ml and had a little hay and 1 pellet. But she has not had a poo.

Should I worry or give her some time to settle in new surroundings.

That is a long time for no poo -

has she eaten at all?

Have you left her in a quiet dark place so she can feel relaxed?

also have you gven her the same sort of pooing 'space/materials' that she is used to??? Some bunnies are a bit retentative in strange surroundings and want the 'trigger' of the same poo tray etc they are used to.

Personally I would leave her overnight as bunnies poo slightly less in the day as well -

if no poo by morning and she stops eating I would panic.

I hope she is looking a little better. It must be quite stressful for her especially if she's been taken away from siblings and if your house is a lot different environment to what she is used to. So long as she gets some quiet and her food is the same as what she is used to, she should be ok. If she's still not pooing/ or not eating in the morning get her straight to a vet.

Where did you get her?

What exactly has she eaten?

Is she in a quiet place out of bright lights?

Has she got a hidey hole?

What hay are you feeding her?

What hay and pellets is she used to having? Are you feeding the same pellets?

If you cannot see any poo at all, then that means she hasnt pooed in nearly 24 hours - so you need to ring the vet.

it does sound like she is getting more confident - it will take about 4 hours for the poo to come through once she has started to eat properly (I am guessing a bit with this - takes about 6 hours with an adult bun).

Hopefully poo should arrive soon.

keep us informed! (and add a photo when she is feeling better)

Hay is GOOD!!!

Where did you get her? a breeder

What exactly has she eaten? This morning 3 pellets and 4 strings of hay

Is she in a quiet place out of bright lights? yes

Has she got a hidey hole? yes she is in there now

What hay are you feeding her? what I was given

What hay and pellets is she used to having? Are you feeding the same pellets? What I was given

Where did you get her? a breeder

What exactly has she eaten? This morning 3 pellets and 4 strings of hay

Is she in a quiet place out of bright lights? yes

Has she got a hidey hole? yes she is in there now

What hay are you feeding her? what I was given

What hay and pellets is she used to having? Are you feeding the same pellets? What I was given

She has a run that she hasn't explored yet.

Would you advise a change of scenery for a few hours?

Might be worth contacting the breeder to see how much she normally eats, and if there is anything in particular that she has already been introduced to (so as to not upset her tummy) that she particularly likes.

Have you got any other hays that might tempt her?

I wouldnt move her, too much too soon. I wouldnt put her in a run until you are sure she is healthy, and she has gotten more confident in her cage.

Has she not pooed at all? If she has done some, can you take a picture, next to a coin for scale? And see if they are hard, squidgey or crumbly

If still no poos, then I think the vet. If stress has sent her in to statis (where the gut stops working) she could be dead in another 24 hrs.

Might be worth contacting the breeder to see how much she normally eats, and if there is anything in particular that she has already been introduced to (so as to not upset her tummy) that she particularly likes.

Have you got any other hays that might tempt her?

I've given her some dry grass that I was given, she eat quite a bit. She seems to like being stroked so for about ten mins I stroked her with one hand and gave her the grass with the other.

I have 2 more types of hay that I could try.

One more thing. How much would an 8 week old mini lop eat during an average day?

Last edited:
with hay they general rule is about the same size in bodyweight/size. pellets shouldnt be given too much off anyway-half an eggcup- 1 eggcup per day.:wave:

with hay they general rule is about the same size in bodyweight/size. pellets shouldnt be given too much off anyway-half an eggcup- 1 eggcup per day.:wave:

Just to add to this that as a young bun she may be getting more than an eggcup - that is fine as long as her tummy is coping. Just keep her on the same amount of pellets as she was on before - how much is this by the way?

Great that she has had some dried grass. It does seem that stress has caused this so try and leave her be as much as possible. If she isnt used to the dried grass be careful it doesnt upset her tummy, if she is used to it then thats fine. Normal hay shouldnt upset her tummy, so I'd try those too, rich hays like alfalfa may though, and ones with herbs/bits of veg in could possibly, so pick those bits out.

Glad that she is eating. Let us know when you see some poops. If you still dont see any you need to ring the vet, as the food/poo could cause an impaction if it isnt moving through the gut properly.

EDIT: Was she still in with mum when you took her? Have you asked the breeder yet how good a hay eater she is normally?

Last edited:
Well she won't eat her old pellets at all, I've got some excel junior pellets but daren't try them for fear of upsetting her tummy.

She is used to the grass, I've set up piles of different hay and she liked the excel hay with dandelion.

I can see her through the french doors and she doesn't seem to eat much unless I go out and see her. When I do she seems to like being stroked as she eats and drinks for 15mins.

So should I keep away?

Yes she was with her mum.

Last edited:
Well she won't eat her old pellets at all, I've got some excel junior pellets but daren't try them for fear of upsetting her tummy.

She is used to the grass, I've set up piles of different hay and she liked the excel hay with dandelion.

I can see her through the french doors and she doesn't seem to eat much unless I go out and see her. When I do she seems to like being stroked as she eats and drinks for 15mins.

So should I keep away?

Yes she was with her mum.

I wonder if perhaps she was a bit behind and still relying on milk from mum and not eating as much as she should have been. At 8 weeks old she would still be drinking her mums milk, albeit not as much.

Do you have a safe cuddly toy she can have, to help her feel less alone. A snugglesafe would be a good idea too, its quite chilly today (here anyway) and the warmth may be a comfort.

Does she come to the front of the cage when you go over or does she freeze or hide? If she runs over I'd maybe go sit by the hutch and just talk to her, not distracting her from eating but keeping her company. She's only a baby and she's suddenly been taken from everything she knows, and single rabbits suffer from high levels of stress anyway, so it must be unsettling for her - if she seems to crave your company I'd just go sit near her for an hour or so. If she runs off or freezes, it might be better to leave her to settle in first.

She has been moved to her run and looks brighter now. She has eaten some grass and been exploring.

She is very sociable, she seems to be stimulated by us talking to her, when we are not she stands/sits still. I suppose she is missing her mum

She has been moved to her run and looks brighter now. She has eaten some grass and been exploring.

She is very sociable, she seems to be stimulated by us talking to her, when we are not she stands/sits still. I suppose she is missing her mum

Is she used to eating grass? If not, then giving her grass that young, especially when she has just been in what looked like a big gut slowdown, is something I wouldnt want to risk.

I imagine she is feeling very lonely and stressed, which is what caused this. The Rabbit Welfare Association advise that single rabbits experience high levels of stress, and I imagine a baby rabbit taken from her mum and siblings and suddenly all alone is likely to feel it even more.

Have you bought her as a companion for an existing rabbit? If so, if she continues to be depressed, it may be better to bond sooner rather than later, if you can find a vet that will neuter her at about 16 weeks to prevent hormones putting a strain on the bond.

If not, it would be prudent to get company for her asap, or move her indoors until you can, so she gets more human attention at all hours of the day.

Yes she is used to grass.

It's the only thing she will eat, I've tried everything.

Can you give me advice as to what age/sex the 2nd rabbit should be ?

Back