• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppet Xrays on Friday

Snow-White

Mama Doe
Poppets sneezing started again so she went to the vets today,
Shes Become somewhat of an enigma, We cant hear any Crackles on her chest or wheezing.
Yet shes sneezing :?
So shes been booked in for an X-ray on Friday :(

Over the summer Harvey had two periods of loads of sneezing, the first for about 3 weeks the second for a week. Both times it was after he escaped and got stuck behind the shed :roll: he inhaled cobwebs, dust and other things (I think maybe even splinters :() which caused the irritation and meant he was sneezing til the inside of his nose healed. Maybe if it's not Poppet's lungs it could be her nose? Is there anything she could be breathing in to irritate it?

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of this on Friday and she feels better soon :)

My bun has chronic snuffles and has had his chest listened to so many times, but it is always clear. It doesnt have to be in the chest, sometimes its higher up.

My bun has chronic snuffles and has had his chest listened to so many times, but it is always clear. It doesnt have to be in the chest, sometimes its higher up.

:( what treatment does your bun have now?
Pop's just been put back on Septrin and Bisolvon Until we can have a good look on her Xray's.

:( what treatment does your bun have now?
Pop's just been put back on Septrin and Bisolvon Until we can have a good look on her Xray's.

He doesnt have it too badly. Longterm (i.e. probably the rest of his life) he is on bisolvon powder (thins mucus and creates more, to help flush through the airways) and echinacea (a herbal immune support). He also has probiotic pellets and a varied diet to help support his immune system as well. I encourage him to eat willow and plantain, both of which are anti-inflammatory. All of this helps to keep it managable, he rarely sneezes apart from when he has a flare up. I also find that since he has moved outside he is better, and I make a concious effort to keep him away from irritating or dusty substances.

Previously when it has flared up he has had baytril. Personally I didnt find it did much, but its the only antibiotic licensed for use in rabbits, so most vets feel most comfortable with that one. I now have a new vet as I've moved area, and she is going to be doing a tear duct flush on Monday, and then we are going to look at other antibiotics. I'll probably ask them to do a C&S test too when he next goes under GA for a dental. He had one done conciously but it didnt grow any bacteria.

He's having other stuff (blood tests and an ultrasound) done Monday too, but thats to find the cause for his weightloss problem. It may possibly be due in part or wholly to his ongoing longterm battle with snuffles.

He doesnt have it too badly. Longterm (i.e. probably the rest of his life) he is on bisolvon powder (thins mucus and creates more, to help flush through the airways) and echinacea (a herbal immune support). He also has probiotic pellets and a varied diet to help support his immune system as well. I encourage him to eat willow and plantain, both of which are anti-inflammatory. All of this helps to keep it managable, he rarely sneezes apart from when he has a flare up. I also find that since he has moved outside he is better, and I make a concious effort to keep him away from irritating or dusty substances.

Previously when it has flared up he has had baytril. Personally I didnt find it did much, but its the only antibiotic licensed for use in rabbits, so most vets feel most comfortable with that one. I now have a new vet as I've moved area, and she is going to be doing a tear duct flush on Monday, and then we are going to look at other antibiotics. I'll probably ask them to do a C&S test too when he next goes under GA for a dental. He had one done conciously but it didnt grow any bacteria.

He's having other stuff (blood tests and an ultrasound) done Monday too, but thats to find the cause for his weightloss problem. It may possibly be due in part or wholly to his ongoing longterm battle with snuffles.

Thankyou so much Nessar!, Poppets on the Bisolvon and Septrin at the moment, (Does your little fella Lick up all the bisolvon?, poppet loves the stuff :shock: )
Poppy used to be an outdoor bunny but she now lives indoor as she broke up with her quad.

We found Baytril to be useless, and just stressed her out giving it to her :evil:

Fingers crossed for you, i shall update when i know more.
Does your vet give you the echinacea ?
xx

Thankyou so much Nessar!, Poppets on the Bisolvon and Septrin at the moment, (Does your little fella Lick up all the bisolvon?, poppet loves the stuff :shock: )
Poppy used to be an outdoor bunny but she now lives indoor as she broke up with her quad.

We found Baytril to be useless, and just stressed her out giving it to her :evil:

Fingers crossed for you, i shall update when i know more.
Does your vet give you the echinacea ?
xx

He doesnt lick it all up, but seems to quite like it :)

Did the snuffles/sneezing start after she broke up from the quad? Often it is triggered by the immune system being dampened, sometimes by stressful events.

There is a snuffle bunny thread in Health, would be worth while to have a glance through, and feel free to post.

No, they are A Vogel Echinafore tablets, you can get them from health food shops or Tesco. He just gets one a day.

He doesnt lick it all up, but seems to quite like it :)

Did the snuffles/sneezing start after she broke up from the quad? Often it is triggered by the immune system being dampened, sometimes by stressful events.

There is a snuffle bunny thread in Health, would be worth while to have a glance through, and feel free to post.

No, they are A Vogel Echinafore tablets, you can get them from health food shops or Tesco. He just gets one a day.

She had 'head tilt'(never confirmed as E.C) as a baby.
But recovered well enough then just a few days before losing Brian she started to sneeze and snot alot, so the vet tried her on Baytril, but that did nothing
So we moved over to Septrin and Bisolvon and she stopped sneezing so we thought we had beat it.
Then the this week she started up again, cant figure what has triggered it though :?

i had popped in the snuffle bunny thread when Pop's first had a bout. i couldnt find it this morning:oops:

Ill Have a word with Molly and see if she feels Echinafore tablets would do her any good?

So we moved over to Septrin and Bisolvon and she stopped sneezing so we thought we had beat it.

Did you stop the treatment soon after this? You really need to keep on with the antibiotics for at least two weeks after all symptoms have gone. If not, you risk just knocking it back then it comes back stronger and more resistant to the antibiotics.

We've also found nebulising to be one of the best treatments as it gets the meds right into the nasal cavities - we nebulise F10 solution and dissolve the Bisolvon powder in it. We have our girl very stable now and not on any treatment for several months. She still sneezes quite a lot and I think this might be damage to her nasal cavities. But as long as they are 'airy' sneezes and I am not seeing any mucus or hearing congestion on her chest, I don't medicate.

Back