• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thread about ridiculous advice given by vets

molly35

Mama Doe
Just reading thread about vet saying to feed carrot and pepper daily! Just got me to wondering about the other utter xxxx vets have told people or bad treatment. My first bun abscess behind eye given flippin eyedrops and no pain relief - sadly for me it was my first rabbit illness and knew no better just expected vet to know what he was talking about. Oh how I have learned the hard way!

Just reading thread about vet saying to feed carrot and pepper daily! Just got me to wondering about the other utter xxxx vets have told people or bad treatment. My first bun abscess behind eye given flippin eyedrops and no pain relief - sadly for me it was my first rabbit illness and knew no better just expected vet to know what he was talking about. Oh how I have learned the hard way!

:( Same happened to me and a couple of different vets saw him. He had a history of dental problems and I was told conjunctivitus. We actually lost him after an eye removal op.

I took my bunny Flopsy to the vets cos she had sore lady bits. He prescribed some cream and scruffed her to put it on :shock:

Then I asked the best way to hold her to put the cream on as she's quite big and he advised me to scruff her :shock:

I was sure that wasn't correct and when I got home I googled it to make sure, and sure enough he was wrong :evil:

When Molly was in stasis I took her to the vet who said 'you can't tell she's ill just from not wanting to eat one time' Erm... Yes I can thank you.

What vet advised pepper and carrot daily? :shock: Were they thinking of guinea pigs? Even then the carrot isn't explainable. :?

Not advice but I had a vet who picked up Vinnie by her scruff and let her dangle. :shock: I was not impressed.

I went to the emergency vet with Alice a few weeks ago and the 1st thing she asked was "has she vomitted?"
Er no she hasn't we'll just be leaving now then!!

The OOH vet said my rat, who was choking/rattling as his abcess on his throat had burst inwards, was grinding his teeth together because he was happy! Erm no, that's bruxing this is an inability to breathe. Fortunately he spluttered out a big lump of goo seconds later so we left.

I went to the emergency vet with Alice a few weeks ago and the 1st thing she asked was "has she vomitted?"
Er no she hasn't we'll just be leaving now then!!

That is absolutely apalling! I can understand not every vet knowing everything about rabbits, but that really is something that they should have known!!!

I've not had any bad advice as such phew but I have had "only indoor rabbits show affection to their owners" after Harvey climbed on me to give me kisses and Lilly climbed on me to be comforted :roll: he was sceptical when I said they were outdoors buns :?

When I got Poppy I asked my vet if I should get her spayed to help prevent uterine cancer.

He said it would be like cutting off a humans arm to stop it getting broken. It wasnt until I joined RU 3 years later that I realised my initial research had been correct.

just wow to some of the advice.

I no longer use our emergency vet as the first time I went there, as they had a tapeworm (some may remember those lovely pictures) the first thing the vet said was "oh its flystrike" - scruffed Bob :)roll:) peered underneath and seemed surprised by his immaculately clean undercarriage (he's a very clean little boy) and no sign of maggots at all. And that completely lack of help cost me £150.

Last time Bob was in stasis at 11pm at night I just called the same useless vet, told her what meds I needed, went along without rabbit, got the syringes, didn't get charged. Think she was just happy to see someone who knew what they were doing haha!

Took my very first bunny to the vet with 'blood in urine' and specifically asked if it could be a symptom of uterine cancer (before I knew such a thing was an issue in rabbits). Was told it was "highly, highly unlikely and was probably just a water infection". Bunge died of uterine cancer :cry:. I hate that vet more than I can say and wish I'd trusted my gut instinct and done something about it. She had to die so that my other bunnies never suffered the same fate :cry::cry:.

When Blanche went into statis I took her to the nearest vets that were open. They told me to syringe her ribena :shock: and gave her a steroid jab, even though I specifically asked for metacam and gut stimulant. She then told me to come in the next day to see if she potentially needed fluids.

The minute I got in I phoned another vets who advised me that because she had had a steroid injection they couldn't prescribe a gut stimulant along side it. The next day she was admitted to an OOH emergency vets and died within hours.

I hate that vet and myself for not being more stern. :cry:

My first rabbit, a little 1 year old mini lop called Choc Chip had a weepy eye. Vet said ( without examining him with any scopes)'' probably teeth related. I am not happy to do dentals, I'd pts now.'' :shock: He was bouncing full of life, there was no way I was doing that. I had done my research and dentals were not common but could be done so I said no way, if he needs a dental I'll find a vet who could :thumb: I called around all my local vets asking how competent they were with rabbits/ dentals/ anesthetics etc and Fiona said she had done many rabbits so I booked him in. At his consult I told her what the other vet had said. She looked confused. On examining him she found there was nothing wrong with his teeth. She said they didn't match up perfectly but that was no problem and his weepy eye was down to a blocked tear duct. He had the flushing that day, awake came home and lived another 11 YEARS with me :love::love::love:
I wrote a letter of complaint but nothing came of it.
Fiona is still my vet now 15 years on.

Last edited:
These stories are quite terrifying :shock:
not rabbit related, but we took our hamster, Mr Moo, to the vets as he was loosing weight, and fur and jsut wasn't himself.....
the vet put 'spot on' on the back of his neck :cry: only just found out a few weeks ago, that this is a big big no no...... he fought for another week before we had to let him go :(

:shock::shock::shock: I really dont understand why rabbits don't feature more heavily on vet training courses, this misinformation is terrible :cry:

We have had overgrown teeth which were blocking tear ducts misdiagnosed as an eye infection, for about 6 months, the vet in question suggested pts as the problem recurred so often she was almost always in pain. We responded that it seemed a bit extreme for an eye infection. He shrugged and said "you have got to understand, it is not a dog, there is no more I can do other than to prescribe the same medication again." :evil: we changed vets got a decent vet who explained that the problem was not her eyes at all and so the 6 or 7 times we treated eye infections were kinda a waste of time and gave us several options to actually fix the problem.

Last week when I was booking the buns in to be neutered the nurse/receptionist told me to starve them the night before :shock::roll: I explained that I would most certainly not be doing that and told her why, but what if she had told someone who didn't know better? (she is a new member of staff to a very good vets, I think she is still training and just very inexperienced, the actual vets are very good there!)

I had a vet tell me that my rabbit would do 'just fine' with all of her teeth removed and she wouldn't need special treatment and another say that feeding lettuce and carrot daily is fine for rabbits and you shouldn't give them wild plants because they're too dirty!

This thread is really scary! If vets who have spent 6yrs training don't know the basics it's no wonder so many pet shop staff and bunny owners r so clueless. U go to the vets and trust what they say, very worrying :(

This thread is really scary! If vets who have spent 6yrs training don't know the basics it's no wonder so many pet shop staff and bunny owners r so clueless. U go to the vets and trust what they say, very worrying :(

I don't trust what they say. I don't mind if they listen and provide the correct treatment.
When I got my first bun, I phoned around a few vets before finding one that did say, 'yes' to, 'do you provide pain relief after neutering?'
'Her sister cannot stay with her because there is nothing wrong with her sister.'
'The first appointment we have is for two weeks time'- 'My bunny will be dead by then.' 'Well, do you want the appointment or not?'
'Greens are good' When bun had diarrhoea. Same vet, 'small poo is good as it is poo.'
Fur mites- reaction to a vaccination.
'It will cost the same as for a bigger animal- do you still want me to go ahead?'
When bun had lost 20% of body weight, 'she doesn't feel thin to me'
The classic from a vet, 'you probably know more about rabbits than I do!'

There are vets who are competent to treat rabbits, the difficulty is finding a practice where they all are and where the reception staff aren't muppets.

Back