• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay / Straw ..... is it easy to tell the difference?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Morning

As the title says really - OH has picked up our bale of hay from the pet shop but it looks a lot more yellow/dry than normal and has lots of leaves, plants etc in it ..... I wasn't sure if we'd been given straw by mistake or whether it should look like that at this time of year (or the shop has changed supplier).

So before I ring them I just wondered how to tell the difference. :?

Thaaaaanks

I think straw is hollow in the middle! Sometimes they look very similar, but straw is usually thicker too and a lot more yellow... Hope that helps! :lol:

I think straw is hollow in the middle! Sometimes they look very similar, but straw is usually thicker too and a lot more yellow... Hope that helps! :lol:

I agree with this :thumb:

Also hay should have a lovely smell to it, sweet and delicious, although it does depend on the type of hay :D

I've had some hay recently that looked like it had strawy type bits in it. Straw is thicker and much more yellow than hay

Thats just a link to your profile page. Have you tried image shack? Don't think you need an accoun for it.

Straw is very golden, very thick and is hollow in the middle

Straaaaaw. Hope this helps you tell the difference
DSCF1460.jpg

Last edited:
Hay is dried grass so obviously in very thin strands, these strands can be chopped short or long, and hay can be rough or soft, and it can be any colour from green to browny yellow

Straw is much wider, proper straw is round and hollow but if it's in a bale for pets it'll be the squashed stuff, so the strands would be wide but thin and always a yellow-brown colour

straw.jpg

Thanks everyone ...... have established that its hay - just not very good hay.

I've telephoned the shop and they're letting me have another bale as I said I wasn't happy with the quality of this one ........ time to find a new supplier methinks.

So next question, anyone know of anywhere I can purchase baled hay around the Blackpool/Preston area? My original supplier had a fire at their shop and never re-opened, I've been struggling since then to get hold of good quality baled hay.

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated! :D

Thank goodness :lol: Last time I went to get a bale the lady said 'would you like new hay or old hay' I asked her what the difference was and she said the new hay is greener. Told her mine prefer it golden and stalky and she said most people with rabbits told her the other way round.

Thank goodness :lol: Last time I went to get a bale the lady said 'would you like new hay or old hay' I asked her what the difference was and she said the new hay is greener. Told her mine prefer it golden and stalky and she said most people with rabbits told her the other way round.

Timothy & Rye that we get from H4P is never green, its always lovely and golden - it smells awesome though and B&G deemolish it.

Mine do prefer it green. If there is a choice, we always get the green hay. Should be easier to get for a while now. Sometimes the golden hay is a bit dustier, maybe because it's been hanging round longer, I dunno.

One of my buns was two when I got him and used to be bedded on straw. As a result, he actually prefers to eat straw to hay, so I never give him the choice. :shock:

Back