• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turning my house rabbits into garden rabbits - need advice

DK_bunnies

New Kit
I have 4 free roaming house rabbits but two of these thrive much better outside than inside, so I have decided to let these two move outside and be free roaming garden rabbits fulltime.

Garden is completely secured. I have bought a hutch for them which I will make more rabbit friendly and then I hope they will use it on rainy and cold days.

But what is your advice for me? Should I give them food with more fats so they can gain more weight and protect themselves better during wintertime? Should I have several insulated houses placed around the garden? Basically, I am a completely rookie when it comes to rabbits living outside, so I just need all the good advice you can give me.

Are you completely free of rabbit predators such as foxes/dogs/birds of prey/cats?

If not then they would really need a secure enclosure rather than totally free roaming.

Rabbits have so many enemies; it's a lovely idea to let them be "free" but for rabbits this is quite often costly. Your rabbits need to be safe, at night especially, as you would treat a child, imo. It isn't difficult to get rabbits to come in in the evening, just wait until then to feed them and they will be in like a shot. They shoulldn't need any more food when living outside, just lots of hay and their normal food. I think bunnies are healthier outside but then I've never had house rabbits. Our homes are not alwaays rabbit friendly.

Back