• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what temperature do you

freddie&daphne

Warren Scout
deploy the snugglesafe? Using one already for my arthritic cat but wondered about when to start again with my bunnies? (they are outdoors in a summerhouse) :wave:

Rabbits are quite hardy, they have very thick coats and I would agree with William, perhaps -3 but honestly they will be fine. Some of my buns have come through 7 or 8 winters now, outside, with hay and a cover and well their age and health must say it all.

I worried all last Autumn about how Poppy would cope with the cold, shes an only bun and it really worried me but she loved the cold and seemed happier than in the summer. I had a tarpaulin over the roof of her run, warm fleecy blankets in her shed and she was absolutely fine:love:

Well I must be the most neurotic bunny mum ever! They had it from me bringing them home in march when they were about 10 weeks old til May and I've had it out the last 2 nights! :oops:

To be honest I don't they'd sit on it if it's was -10, I don't think they understand the concept, but it would make me feel better.

I don't use them never have my oldest bunny who i lost to old age this year was 10+ and my next oldest is 8 and they've never had any problems

I don't use them, was too worried that they would get used to them and then would not cope when they got cold in the early hours - visions of me creeping out in the early hours to replace it!

We have a cheap tesco double duvet which goes over the back and top of the hutch once winter arrives proper (<5 degrees) , I fold this down over the mesh at night if its going to freeze/ snow/ icy gales (love winter!)

Having done all this they mostly prefer to sit in their run all weathers! bunnies are awesome :love:

If their water bowl is freezing over at bedtime I replace it with luke warm water - they seem to really enjoy this!

I give Daisy and Digby snugglesafes when it is going to be zero or below. But they never use them :roll: it just makes me feel better knowing that they have the option :D if it is less than -3 they also have a little greenhouse heater on :wave:

I don't own any snugglesafes:oops:

If anybun is ill i have a heat lamp but I have never needed it yet;)

A snug 'burrow' and a friend to cuddle gets my buns through the cold weather:love:

Don't have a microwave so we can't use them! This is my first proper winter with Alf and Ros, last winter alfie had EC and was in a padded indoor cage for four months and Ros was only 4 months old so she came in when it went below two degrees cus she didnt have a winter coat. this year they'll stay out unless it gets below like -3 as I don't have the indoor accommodation for 3 buns! Dee is a little stiff in winter so she comes in if it snows/gets below zero anyway.

I have a snuggle safe that I use on my rabbits. I kind of have a rule that if it goes to below 0 I get the snuggle safe out. If it goes below -5 or -6 they come inside, but just for the night. If it goes like it did last year (it got to -25) they come in 24/7 I think they were in last year for about 4 weeks all in all, I just make sure that when they go back outside, I put them out in the day only first, then they adjust to nighttime too. I just pack their hutch with tonnes of straw, put on the homemade shutters and they snuggle together anyways, most of the time, the hutch is that warm, that when I open the top, I can feel the heat inside.

This year I'm looking to make a homemade bottle Snuggy contraption as I brought a thermal covering but they don't understand that it's still their water bottle and they don't drink anything. I'm in a attch a box to my shutter with loads of insulation in it so the bottle fits inside and you can still see the whole bottle from the inside of the hutch.

I bought one just the other week for Pebbles.

Last year when I just had Rosie I didn't bother as she is a fluff monster and grows a great winter coat. I just made sure she had plenty of straw and hay to snuggle in and kept any draughts out of her hutch. But Pebbles is a shorter haired bun and I worry he wont be able to grow one to keep him warm enough. So I bought him a snuggle safe and a wooden hidey house that I will fill with hay.

But I would probably stick it out if it gets below 10 degrees I think

Back