• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mites/bugs in hay

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Has anyone noticed this before?

I had a bag of meadow hay from H4P and noticed tiny (1mm long) little black bug type things on the floor after getting some out for the buns, and they drop out if the hay is shaken. I immediately stopped using it, but left the bag in the conservatory and kind of forgot about it and it's been in their for weeks. Last night I noticed they were crawling on the carrier which is nearby so have come out of the small hole I cut at the top of the bag to get the hay out. There seems to be an awful lot of them! I havn't noticed it in their Timothy and Rye which is their main hay or any other hays ever thinking about it.

Are they any risk to the buns? They are all fully vacc'd.

We often have lots of tiny little very pale yellow mites in the farm hay bales....makes my skin crawl :(

Yuck! I think they would make my skin crawl more than these black ones!

I definitely will ditch it! they've probably been breeding in it and multiplying even more :? shame to waste the money for it, but I just can't bring myself to use it! not only do I not want them near the buns I don't want them spreading through the house either :?

Back