• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medicine avoidance

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I've sometimes thought that Benjie may be one of the most affectionate buns one could hope for, but he isn't the brightest! :lol: I also thought that Thumper had worked out every trick in the book to avoid meds - greatly to my amusement as I used many of them myself as a small child.

Benjie has found the ultimate. He doesn't need restraint, just wriggles a bit, but has anyone else tried to syringe meds in while bunny is licking your fingers & palm? It's impossible! I really love that bunny. :love:

:love: This post makes me warm and fuzzy. I'm so glad you found each other. But nope, none of mine will do that.

Thankyou for your replies everyone.
Jane, I found with Thumper that he seemed to learn the effects of his meds, eg metacam = pain relief (very quickly), but it took him about 3 weeks to learn that domperidone helped his gut. He always but always protested about zantac. So he refuse his metacam for a few days but soon became the typical metacam junkie. :lol:

Sky-O I think your sides might ache to hear the sound track of med time here. "Yes, sweetie, I love you lots & lots too. (kiss between the ears, & lots of calming down strokes) then "please will you take your meds now?".

I've been very surprised by the total difference in the 2 temperaments. Thumper was very much on the go, exploring everything possible, what he could do with it, & "tidying up" my (or tradesmens) tools, before I'd even started a job. :lol: Benjie waits quietly until I have a rest, then it's cuddles, cuddles, cuddles.
The very last thing I'm aware of at night is Benjie hopping down from the bed & the very 1st thing on wakening, even in the middle of the night, is him hopping up for a cuddle.
It's as well really cos I have lots of rests these days!

We can't get Nibbles to take medicine from a syringe, he kicks and we just can't seem to get it in him, it ends up being a very stressful experience! but instead we put it on a plate and he's more than happy to lick it up instead. I don't know if that would work for you!

I've sometimes thought that Benjie may be one of the most affectionate buns one could hope for, but he isn't the brightest! :lol: I also thought that Thumper had worked out every trick in the book to avoid meds - greatly to my amusement as I used many of them myself as a small child.

Benjie has found the ultimate. He doesn't need restraint, just wriggles a bit, but has anyone else tried to syringe meds in while bunny is licking your fingers & palm? It's impossible! I really love that bunny. :love:

I have a trick around this which works with Critical Care, but with metacam which is prescription only and you're only given what you need it might end up wasting some and not getting the exact dose :(

I put critical care on my skin where he's licking, a bit at a time, and he licks it up as he's kissing me. I get odd looks from my boyfriend as Harvey sits and licks my neck and chest so that's where the critical care goes :lol:

Your bun sounds very adorable and besotted with you :love: hope you get the little monkey to take some medicine soon!

A genuine thank you all for your advice which is excellent.:thumb:
Benjie has bisolvon which is a powder & goes in nicely on a basil leaf. (I reckon he thinks that bisolvon is normal seasoning for basil by now!:lol:

The others have been;
An antibiotic, Marbocyl, & I have to get the full dose into him, or we'll get all sorts of probs like it won't work & create drug resistance if he doesn't get the full dose.
I give him 2 different herbal medicines echinacea cos he's a nervous bunny, & stress knocks out their immune system. (He's got snuffles) Echinacea helps to stop this effect of stress.
I've recently tried a combination herbal remedy which cured one of Maizey's buns from long standing snuffles. It's less than 0.1ml of each. They're so strongly smelling I can't hide them in anything.
Lastly he has metacam to reduce swelling in the nasal passages & for pain relief from any blocked sinuses.
It's no major problem cos he just lies on my knee, & doesn't need wrapping in a towel or anything. He could actually do a runner very easily if he really didn't like it big time!

On top of all that he has a saline nebuliser x3 per day where he sits on my lap while I stroke him with 1 hand & direct the mist on his nose with the other. It's to help all the pus to come out of his nose. He's fine with that until his nose starts running when he gets a bit fed up & as it's doing it's job by then, I let him down. As soon as he's down he turns round for his reward.
Guess what? More stroking. :lol::lol::lol:

My bridge bun Thumper was a right difficult bun to medicate at 1st. & very bright, but didn't kick ot bite. He stretched my ingenuity to outwit him in several ways. Once I'd sussed one thing out he'd try something else.:lol: I reckon it's a bit of a game with both my buns as if they have to put up a token protest. :lol:

If Thumper really meant NO he meant NO!!! He didn't kick or bite either. I had a fantastic relationship with him. Thumper "talked". I had a lovely exotics vet at the time, Marie. She worked in an exotics center, & realised that Thumper "talked" very early on. Nobody could get critical care into Thumper!!! It wasn't until I saw Marie return him to me with CC even in her hair that I stopped feeling totally inadequate with him. Fortunately Marie "listened to him" & instead of a battle we just gave subQ fluids after dentals. He was a sweetie too. While still drowsy after a GA you could watch him in the mind set, "Gotta eat to get out of here" (hospital) I'd take him home very early when he was still zonked, & he'd carry on in the same mind set at home, falling asleep in his bowl, until he came round properly. :lol: Once he came round he had to show his disapproval of me, giving me the "order of the bum" & I had to make up to him. :lol:

Here's a very dopey Thumper falling asleep in his food bowl
DSCF4790.jpg

Here's a fully recovered Thumper giving me the order of the bum.:lol:
DSCF4800.jpg

His gut gradually packed up, & I started a thread when he was only given 2 more months to live, cos we were trying a drug which hadn't been used for buns before. That thread went on & on for 18 months before he finally passed.

Then Benjie was found as a baby bun trying to cross one of the busiest roads in Swindon at rush hour, just after New years day, in the dark, & coloured jet black, only 2 months after Thumper passed. He had a generalised pastuerella infection - abscesses & snuffles, & had probably been bitten on 1 ear. I couldn't refuse him a home.
You couldn't imagine 2 more totally different bunnies. I'm quietly pleased that I love Benjie just as much, & very much in his own right, ie because of the difference.

ETA Here's Benjie being nebulised - see -he's an absolute sweetie.
DSCF0051.jpg

Last edited:
Back