• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is this normal on a foot?

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
hi all,
ok, my little netherland dwarf who has white fur with black patches, has this pink round mound on the back section of her back foot, and they are on both feet in the same place!! is this normal anatomy for rabbits or is it something serious? ive not really noticed them before at all and while grooming her all over as she is moulting like mad in this nice weather rather than getting a fur coat for the winter i somehow have noticed it. here is a picture as best as i can holding her, hope you can see it ok as she was squirming a lot!!
DSCF0107.jpg

Hi,

It look like hock burn to me. This is caused by buns sitting in their pee and it burning their skin. Some breeds are more suceptable than others (my rex gets it a lot). Changing the cage more often and feeding hay outside the peeing area as much as possible will help. A litte dab of sudacream wont hurt either!

Good luck x

will change her litter tray more often then so she doesnt sit in it, and she lives in a pantry attached to the main house, so it is carpeted to keep it warmer. will be interesting to get cream onto her feet!!! lol.

will change her litter tray more often then so she doesnt sit in it, and she lives in a pantry attached to the main house, so it is carpeted to keep it warmer. will be interesting to get cream onto her feet!!! lol.

It can be caused by carpet - like carpet burns, try putting down something smooth, you might find it helps :D

her cage which is in the pantry and always kept open is made of plastic as the base and has newspaper ontop, does this hard surface also contribute to the sore hocks? as if i put anything soft down she usually wees on it, frankly im surprised she has not weed on the carpet in the pantry as she used to do it before in other rooms.

yes they do look like hocks, make sure her nails on her back feet are not to long either as they can make her walk with more pressure on the ball of the foot. I had a rabbit with awful hocks that used to bleed and another rabbit kept in exactly the same environment with no hocks!

Or it could just be a calous. It doesnt look particularly sore or angry from that picture, and rabbits do get them. Ginger has one on each back paw where the fur doesnt quite cover the skin from when she was younger and its never grown 100% back and the skin goes hard and tough in reaction.

Boris sometimes gets this, I think from sitting on the rug a lot (he does love his pink rug :lol:) but usually it goes away by itself. He's never seemed bothered by it really and it heals fairly quickly. Interestingly enough Bella has no problems at all, despite her nails being a bit on the long side (little :censored: never lets me cut then properly :roll:) but her feet are a lot more fuzzy so maybe she's not as sensitive.

Back