• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulating hutches

nessar

Warren Veteran
What do you use/ how do you do it?

Could I just nail some thick blankets to the walls - would that do anything?

What do you use/ how do you do it?

Could I just nail some thick blankets to the walls - would that do anything?

Yes it would, but if it got wet it would take a long time to dry, you would need very good airflow.
You could use lots of things to line the hutch walls, get a thin layer of plywood (thicker the plywood the better), and put the blankets inside the frame and plywood. But you still would need good airflow.

well i put a large piece that covers the whole hutch-it drapes over-then bricks on top of the hutch to weight it down. you could use velcro ties or something to keep it down at the bottom. ive done that for the shed windows.

Yes it would, but if it got wet it would take a long time to dry, you would need very good airflow.
You could use lots of things to line the hutch walls, get a thin layer of plywood (thicker the plywood the better), and put the blankets inside the frame and plywood. But you still would need good airflow.

Do you mean if a bun weed on it or something, or would it just get damp being in there?

Do you mean if a bun weed on it or something, or would it just get damp being in there?

Yes, if a bun weed on it or it got wet another way it would make the hutch colder. And would rot or go mouldy if it never dried out.

Hmm maybe not fabric then, dont want any mould.

What would be better, bubble wrap, foil-coated bubble wrap, or polystyrene? I'm thinking for inside the hutch, boarded over with plywood. Outside is tricky because of wind and rain... might just use tarpaulin for that.

I bough a hutch off ebay that had a scratch and newton run hugger with it the previous owners were using on the hutch. it had seen better days so I cut it up to line inside the hutch stapling it on then covered it all with correx. :wave:

Would something like this work well to insulate or not as well as other methods? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-sq-ft-...ss_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item416adf322d

Just thinking, because I've used them as flooring before, so know they are nontoxic for the buns to chew, and I know they wouldnt eat them, so I wouldnt have to board over them with wood - so potentially its a lot cheaper. I'm thinking of using them not only for the floor but to cover the walls as well, probably superglue velcro to them to stick them on - or just pva glue them on. I dont think tacks/nails would get much of a grip on the foam.

Is that the same stuff as the £30 rolls? Sorry to be dense, but what do you mean by vents, and are they needed when insultating?

Not sure what the £30 rolls are, but i know different suppliers have similar stuff, some cost more but you get what you pay for. Screwfix have this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/airtec-double-insulation-1-5-x-25m/50913. Cost more, better quality but does same job but comes in a longer roll. You should only need one B&Q roll, you may even get to double it up inside, you should also only need one sheet of plywood for a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch if you only do the sides and back.

If you want, measure the hutch, back, sides, roof and floor (roof and floor if you plan to insulate that) and reply to this topic and i'll help you work out how much plywood you need.

As for the vents, if you insulate without good airflow, you stand a good chance of getting damp during colder months. Vents like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-louvre-vent-white-229mm-x-152mm/16105 but you can get some for 70ish pence.

Not sure what the £30 rolls are, but i know different suppliers have similar stuff, some cost more but you get what you pay for. Screwfix have this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/airtec-double-insulation-1-5-x-25m/50913. Cost more, better quality but does same job but comes in a longer roll. You should only need one B&Q roll, you may even get to double it up inside, you should also only need one sheet of plywood for a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch if you only do the sides and back.

If you want, measure the hutch, back, sides, roof and floor (roof and floor if you plan to insulate that) and reply to this topic and i'll help you work out how much plywood you need.

As for the vents, if you insulate without good airflow, you stand a good chance of getting damp during colder months. Vents like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-louvre-vent-white-229mm-x-152mm/16105 but you can get some for 70ish pence.

Sorry, I meant this stuff, which is available in a bigger £30 roll. http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...awrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554?skuId=12108260

Thanks, I've measured the hutch before, and its just your basic 6x2. The meshed area has a back wall of 4x2, the sleeping area 2x2, theres a divider inbetween so I'd have to do each section separately. The sides of the hutch go about 23 inches deep and its all roughly 2ft high (the front is slightly higher but because of the way the extra height is a part of the roof panel it couldnt be insulated anyway, sorry I know that makes no sense, its just an awkward recessed wedge-shape attached to the underneath of the roof.) The roof... I'm not sure if I'd want to do the roof, as its very thick and on the inside of the hutch it is metalic colour and cool to the touch, so I'm not sure if the roof has already been insulated perhaps.

What are the best (or better) materials for insulating the hutch? And does the shiny foil-coated bubblewrap stuff work as well if you cover it up with wood? Because surely then it cant reflect back the heat as well :?

Sorry, I meant this stuff, which is available in a bigger £30 roll. http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...awrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554?skuId=12108260

Thanks, I've measured the hutch before, and its just your basic 6x2. The meshed area has a back wall of 4x2, the sleeping area 2x2, theres a divider inbetween so I'd have to do each section separately. The sides of the hutch go about 23 inches deep and its all roughly 2ft high (the front is slightly higher but because of the way the extra height is a part of the roof panel it couldnt be insulated anyway, sorry I know that makes no sense, its just an awkward recessed wedge-shape attached to the underneath of the roof.) The roof... I'm not sure if I'd want to do the roof, as its very thick and on the inside of the hutch it is metalic colour and cool to the touch, so I'm not sure if the roof has already been insulated perhaps.

What are the best (or better) materials for insulating the hutch? And does the shiny foil-coated bubblewrap stuff work as well if you cover it up with wood? Because surely then it cant reflect back the heat as well :?

Yes that stuff is fine, as for will the stuff work if covered in wood, yes. Heat travels though wood and Thermawrap Insulation will reflect it back.

You should only need 1 sheet of plywood, a sheet that is 1220x2440mm (4ft x 8ft).

Yes that stuff is fine, as for will the stuff work if covered in wood, yes. Heat travels though wood and Thermawrap Insulation will reflect it back.

You should only need 1 sheet of plywood, a sheet that is 1220x2440mm (4ft x 8ft).

Thanks :) out of foam, polystyrene and that silver stuff, which do you think would be best at insulating ?

My buns' hutches have been inside a brick outhouse but we are in the process of moving them to a shed. I have decided not to insulate the shed but to go the old fashioned route and simply stockpile some hay and or straw bales against the North-facing wall, on the inside, which I think will insulate it a bit.

My buns are angoras so I tend to leave them in full coat for the worst part of winter, which helps.

Back