• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on how to keep Snowy warm..

PinkBun

Alpha Buck
Snowy is an outdoor bun, she lives on her own in a huge hutch(it is massive got her a new one)
Anyway, not allowed to bring her into the house or shed so how do I help warm her up? It is freezing up here(north yorkshire).

She has TONNES of hay and straw, she has a blanket and an old jumper but she's still cold. Any ideas please, I don't want to lose her this winter.
xx

You could get her a snugglesafe. These are made of hard plastic, speciall designed so that bunnies can't chew them. You heat them up in the microwave (instructions on packet).

Is this going to be Snowy's first winter with you?

You could get her a snugglesafe. These are made of hard plastic, speciall designed so that bunnies can't chew them. You heat them up in the microwave (instructions on packet).

Is this going to be Snowy's first winter with you?

I'll look into the 'snugglesafe's' - it's not, it's her second, but last year they stayed in the shed and she had a friend. This year, the shed is broken and unsuitable and we sadly lost Fudge (her companion)
xx

Can you possibly get an old blanket or duvet from a charity shop or freecycle and a tarpaulin as that will help keep her warm

did you have the hutch in shed? is there anyway to reppair it and just keep her in hutch in there with added covers?

Sorry just went to clean out her hutch.
She has a blanket, an old fleece, TONNES of hay, sawdust and the cover has an old quilt and the bike cover xoxox

It used to be in the shed in winter, but it's all rusted and sticks out everywhere. We have our freezer in there too and as it's small and dangerous there's no room nor would it be safe!

Last edited:
just to say, sawdust can cause problems in rabbits so you might want to leave that out:wave:

also, i made a cover for the mesh of the cage to stop the harsh cold winds getting in. i used velcro and cut up some tarpaulin so that i can roll it up during the day but pull it down at night:D

just to say, sawdust can cause problems in rabbits so you might want to leave that out:wave:

also, i made a cover for the mesh of the cage to stop the harsh cold winds getting in. i used velcro and cut up some tarpaulin so that i can roll it up during the day but pull it down at night:D

Ah, it's right at the bottom, just for when she pee's. There's not alot and it's proper paper!! xoxoxo

From what you have said pinkbun snowy should be fine they cope much better with the cold than they do the heat. i think i will say is to have at least 1 spare water bottle as the bottles and the spouts freeze and you need to check it every few hours to make sure water is being released

From what you have said pinkbun snowy should be fine they cope much better with the cold than they do the heat. i think i will say is to have at least 1 spare water bottle as the bottles and the spouts freeze and you need to check it every few hours to make sure water is being released

Great - She is a fluffy lionhead!! But I feel so bad for her outside in the freezing wind!

As long as she has a bed area to hide away if she wishes she will be fine i worry every year and mine are always fine

As long as she has a bed area to hide away if she wishes she will be fine i worry every year and mine are always fine

Yeah she does, filled with hay :D
She is laying in the outside area now, even though it's freezing. Nutter.

She will be ok then she know's whats best for her if she gets to cold she will go in the hutch where its warmer

All my rabbits live outside in the hutch, I have one living in a shed with his hutch inside i leave the one end of his hutch open so he can run about in the shed and go in his hutch when he feels the need to. Im planning on insulateing the shed in the next week or so so he is warmer in there and cover his run area with tarp to give him a covered area in the winter months, My paired rabbits Buster And Daisy live together in a huge hutch with run set up like a chicken coop, I top their hutches up with straw and blankets and place an old hot water bottle in an old pillow case and pad it with straw and cardboard so it acts as an insulator and deters them from chewing the rubber on the hot water bottle, I cover the hutch and run floors with old carpet hay and straw and their litter trays and put house insulator an tarp on the outside and leave holes in it for ventalation, I do the same with my lionhead Vinnie he lives as a single bun too, he has two hutches with runs set up, they are smaller versions of the paired rabbits hutch and run set up, i do the same for him hotwater bottles hay, blankets and cover his hutch with tarp aswell,A tip for stopping drinking water bottles from freezing change the water daily keep spare bottles in case they freeze over when you change them wrapp the bottle in either buble wrapp or cardboard and place an old thermal sock over it. You will find your rabbit will adapt to cold winters better to hot summers u could always but him a fleece blanket or an old fleece ted with the stuffing reomved and filled with straw or hay to keep him warm and he might cuddle up to it like he would a companion. Hope this will give you a few ideas :D

Why not get her a neutered boyfriend? It's very lonely all on your own in the winter. A bunny should have a companion, especially a female bunny. The rescues have lots of buns.

Back