• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits during Winter

Dave81

Mama Doe
Possibly the stupidest question ever!

Will my rabbits need the central heating on over winter or are they going to be fine with it off?

They will be better with it...........................................OFF! Unless it gets down to -40?

Personally I'd turn the radiator/s in their room/s off.

Don't forget that they have a purpose grown fur coat on them 24/7.

My bunnies live in a hutch (which is in a shed) outside and the only extra heat they have is a snugglesafe pad each at night. Oh, and extra bedding. That's it. They've always been snuggly warm with that so your bunnies will be even snugglier!

Don't forget though if you open the window in their room for fresh air purposes that they may be in a draft, so make sure it's only open for say an hour or so. Drafts may make them poorly.

My two live in the basement which is always the coldest part of the house, especially in the winter. They've always been fine :) in fact it really helps Boris who is a snuffle bun :)

Depends how cold your house gets. A couple of winters ago I was in a house that went down to 6c in the night in winter, and that was with having the heating on 6 hours a day. Personally I wouldnt want the bunnies to go down below 12-15c, as indoors they wont grow their winter coats, and the colder it gets in there the less time you will spend in there - which is a risk in itself.

But the hot-cold-hot-cold temp changes if you have the heating on for only a few odd hours a day can be bad too. So I'd keep it on, but on a thermostat.

Depending on the house, if you have the other room's heating on, the bunny room may stay warm anyway.

Basically, to summerise, I think you need to get a thermometer that records the lowest and highest temperatures. I've had this one and it was great and worked fine for over a year, till my friend threw up on it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/NS-Associat...Z1CS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1347620373&sr=8-9

That's ok then as I would only have it set to come on if the house was in danger of the pipes freezing, any other time I'm under a duvet :lol:

Back