• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

re do we dont we

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
we have a male rabbit about 4-5yrs old, he was unwanted so I took him on which is why I am not sure of age, we want to get him a female neutured friend and have found one at our local rspca but a friend of my said we should get him done aswell so he dosent pester her, we have a female already with a male and shes been done he hasnt but she just put him in his place so he dosent pester her, anyway what do you think if the femal has be neutured do we really need to get the male done aswell or can we just go ahead and introduce them,, I dont really want to pay out £65 to have him done , I would rather spend it on food and treats for them and then foster other bunnies

Both rabbits should always be neutered unless there's a medical condition preventing it.

You're lucky your other rabbits have remained bonded, your friend is very right that the male will pester the female and it can cause severe fighting.

It's also better for the males health and temperment to be done, or they're just perminantly frustrated.

Our Branch of the RSPCA would not rehome to your situation, but I have no idea what your Branch would do. We're looking for the maximum chance of success with our bunnies, and in that situation there is actually a very high chance of failure, so we wouldn't risk it. It might be worth reading this info on bonding. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm Specifically the bit about the kinds of bunnies that could be bonded.

Get him done too, it will prolong his life and will stop him possibly pestering the female

Back