• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy to spay or not to spay...

Shauna

Warren Scout
I took Daisy to the vets today for her vaccines and my poor baby had to have her eye flushed again :( i hate having to watch that but it has to be done. But anyway back on point... :p

I rescued her from a a garden after her owner passed away and the children just left them for about 4 months with basically nothing :( But they didn't spay her or her daughter. Im getting Olive spayed but i wanted to get Daisy done to, only problem is shes comeing up aproximately 7... but i want to bond her with my ralph. (He is neutered)

My vet has said she would carry it out because shes very healthy but her age could make it difficult.. so id like peoples advice really on whether its worth it or not, or if i should just leave her as she is and try the bond anyway..... help me pleaseeee lol

and heres the lady herself
IMG_0183.jpg

She is a beautiful rabbit. I think that spaying her at 7 is a very hard decision. Julie is eight and had her first dental yesterday. It took her so long to really wake up and get back to normal. She was spayed at 6 months and popped back right away so age does make a big difference. I would really way the pros and cons with her vet. Sorry that I am no help but she is adorable.

Hi there, just thought I would link you to this thread which I made to ask about spaying in older does. I said that Socks was 5+ on the first post but she turned out to be 8, her partner was 11. The thread contains a lot of examples of bunnies who have come through the op fine. :D Socks had no problems with the op itself and came round in great spirits, but she unfortunately had developed uterine cancer which had spread and was incurable.

Re the bond, unneutered females can get on well with neutered males dependant on personality, Socks lived with her partner Hazel for a long time before she was spayed. It depends on the personality of the buns in question. I would be more concerned about the health risks than the effect on a bond, unless the female is noticably terratorital or aggressive. If you have a good vet who you are confident in I would go for the spay personally. She has such a gorgeous little face!

Bunnytoes, I hope Julie is doing well and is back to playing pool in no time ;)

thankyou everyone :)

im going to go ahead with it then the pros have out weighed the cons :) She going back to the vets in a week to have her eye flushed again :( so ill book it then :)

i personally wouldn't at her age because she is getting quite old now and the are some risks xx

Peronally I would leave her and see how they all get on. If they are all happy then I would be content with that.

Back