• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clipping bunny bums?

Hurri_Swords

Warren Scout
I'm just wondering if any does this because Miss Charlotte's bum fluff keeps dirty and she hate baths, I do brush her regularly to keep matting down. I'm just worried its going to cause further problems.

Clipping bad or good then? I'm thinking one of those eyebrow/nose trimmers cause they are little and quiet.

I'm just wondering if any does this because Miss Charlotte's bum fluff keeps dirty and she hate baths, I do brush her regularly to keep matting down. I'm just worried its going to cause further problems.

Clipping bad or good then? I'm thinking one of those eyebrow/nose trimmers cause they are little and quiet.

You shouldn't need to bath unless your rabbit has an illness that prevents her from keeping herself clean. What do you mean when you say it is dirty - do you mean it has poo stuck to it?

Urine many cause she white it shows up lots, I change her littler tray every day but still she get stained. She does clean her self but now I'm worried not enough as this doesn't seem like a popular idea .

Im interested in this aswell and have been wondering the same thing recently. My Poppy often gets messy and improves when she has been shaved at the vets but it would be much better if I could keep her trimmed at home. I think I recently slightly tore her skin trying to tease her fur :-(

I used to have a giant loppy girl that only had to smell cabbage and she had a runny bum:lol:

I bought some baby nail scissors with the rounded ends. My hubby used to hold her in his arms, not in a trance position, just normal right way up. then I used to kneel in front of him and clip her bum.

We once had to do it on valentines day and it was suggested I try and create a loveheart in the fluff:oops::lol:

She was 'bum checked' weekly but we used to have some right messes we maybe did it 3 times a year. she was very good and patient with it all. I have learnt since those early bunny owning days that the best idea would have been to just not give her cabbage!

I have a dirty bunny, theres nothing wrong with him, but he just likes to sit in his wee :roll:
I clip him with a pair of nail scissors to keep the hair minimum, and then pop some vaseline over him.
Might be worth a go with your bun?

Thanks for advice, I might ask my vet if they will do it for me when I go for her health check next week. (My love vets are doing them for free fore bunny awareness week :) )

I get two of mine clipped by the vet nurse. Flora is nine and a half years old and due to arthritis, can't 'make ends meet' so tends to be a bit matted down below. She just has a regular brazilian to keep everything tidy :lol:. Pod, on the other hand, is a lazy little tyke and believes personal hygiene is for other bunnies :roll:. So I keep her clipped just to help avoid a mucky bum and flystrike.

Back