• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RABBIT ATTACK>horrible accident :( :( :(

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Well what a **** day i had yesterday.

A friend of ours dropped up some hazel branches for the bunnies. We have four bunnies in two seperate three teir hutches [home made] They live in a summer house and in general we never have any problems as such. However yesterday my OH made a terrible mistake.

When he put the hazel branches in each hutch he didnt shut either hutch correctly :cry:

Alex was indoors with us [having her indoor playtime with out gizmo because she is territorial] . However when OH took alex back he seen that both hutches were open. Gizmo our Gummy bunny was on the floor and yoshi and tiggs were in their hutch. He rushed in to find fur and patches of blood on the floor.
On picking gizmo up he rushed in to me and told me to phone the vet. Gizmo was bleeding from the mouth and was in shock.
We wrapped him in a blacket and rushed him to the vets.

The vet preformed emerency surgery on Gizmo and said what had happened was one of the other two must have jumped out of their hutch and lunged at gizmo - grabbing him under the chin and through his droopy bottom lip [droppy because of no insiors] and pulled hard!!! She said he was in shock and that she had stitched him from inside his mouth right round and under his chin. :( :( The biggest risk factors now are infection or if he looses blood supply then that could cause his chin to drop off :cry::cry: She is hopeful it wont but he will be watched closely. Luckily they did no other damage other than the mouth. it could have been a lot worse.

Now although Gizmo looks a mess and must be uncomfortable he is eatting already and seemed to settle with his partner alex very quickly. The vet gave us all his meds via injection so we dont have to touch his mouth. i am hoping that he continues to improve over the next 48hrs.

As you can imagine my OH is heart broken that he didnt shut the hutches but as i said to him it was an accident. In a way it is lucky it was Gizmo down there not alex because she would have been able to fight back and i think the injuries then could have been fatal :(

we dont know which bunny out of Yoshi & Tiggs did the attack but both of them are fine with not a mark, not a little scratch or anything.

Please send get well vibes for Gizmo. He is a fighter at heart and is battleing his way through the pain :shock:

Sending mega vibes to Gizmo for a full recovery.

At leat it was spotted quickly and acted on. If he needs more meds, ask your vet how to give via injection it is less stressful (especially with his poor ickle mouth).

We had a similar incident where my hubby didn't realise a gate was part open in the garden partition, luckily he saw Katy running towards Cassie but he did have to dive and rugby tackle her before she got to Cassie as she is that quick.:lol: No harm was done luckily enough but it is easily done.

hoping Gizmo is much better this morning -

we have actually had two instances of mouth attack (so to speak) - in one case an escapee like yours and in another through the wire of a run (goodness knows how they managed it).

In both instances it healed remarkably well.

i had a similar occurence at the beginning of the year & my bun had her nose flap hanging off, it sickened me to think it happened to her whilst in my care, but like yourself we went straight to the emergency vet & had it stitched & she made such a beautiful recovery that now you wouldn't know it had happened. Hope Gizmo makes the same successful recovery

Back