• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating

dawnt

New Kit
Hi, Ive got a 4 year old bunny who has problems with his teeth, they dont grow straight. He went in for his usual rasping of his teeth on Thursday last week, he's usually recovered and eating well within 24-48 hours, but he's still not eating his food. He has pelletts as advised by the vets, rather than the muesli food. He'll eat his treats, yoghurt drops and dandelion leaves. He hasn't been eating his carrot, but last noght ate a small bit. Itook him back to the vet on Tuesday, they checked his tummy and said all was fine, gave him a pain releif shot, just in case and gave me some critical care sachets to make up and syringe to him. This doesnt seem to be working as he's still not eating. I'm tempted to go to the pet shop and see if a different pellet food would encourage him to eat again, can anyone give me any advice please???

I would advise you to seek a second opinion from another Vet

Does your Rabbit eat hay, hay is the most important part of a Rabbit's diet, not pellets/muesli/veg etc

Although if he already has Dental Disease he may now not be able to eat hay..........

Just 'rasping' the teeth is seldom anywhere near sufficient in the management of Dental Disease. That is why I would suggest you seek the advice of a Vet more experienced in the treatment of Rabbits

If you give some idea of your location someone on here may be able to recommend a good Rabbit Vet to you

These links may be useful to read:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...y1Y9Ee&sig=AHIEtbTAYCPIxhL_Jq6YLLzVPHZbzGUaCQ

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/dental_disease.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

Hi, Ive got a 4 year old bunny who has problems with his teeth, they dont grow straight. He went in for his usual rasping of his teeth on Thursday last week, he's usually recovered and eating well within 24-48 hours, but he's still not eating his food. He has pelletts as advised by the vets, rather than the muesli food. He'll eat his treats, yoghurt drops and dandelion leaves. He hasn't been eating his carrot, but last noght ate a small bit. Itook him back to the vet on Tuesday, they checked his tummy and said all was fine, gave him a pain releif shot, just in case and gave me some critical care sachets to make up and syringe to him. This doesnt seem to be working as he's still not eating. I'm tempted to go to the pet shop and see if a different pellet food would encourage him to eat again, can anyone give me any advice please???

Any change in pellet food should only be made gradually (ie mixing some of the old type food with some of the new until you can completely change over).

The recommended amount of pellets is an eggcupful a day, and if you are feeding more than this I would advise gradually reducing to that amount.

Is he eating hay which is the most important part of a rabbit's diet - 80-90%.

I would cut out the treats and yogurt drops, they are really unnecessary, particularly with a rabbit unwilling to eat.

Carrots, also, should be avoided, as they are very sweet and so not good for teeth or tums.

Is he weeing and passing droppings ok?

ETA Just seen Jack's Jane post - and I would agree that you need a rabbit-savvy vet.

He's still eating his hay, and drinking. He's weeing and passing small droppings. Im located in Birmingham in the UK. Will do anything to get him eating again

Back