• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT please help

xleannex

Young Bun
Im am absolutly devestaed, angry, worried!!
My partner went in the garden today after work to find someone has been in our garden and opened one of the hutches, my bunnie and her 5 babies were gone, we have now found all 5 but cannot find mum, we have spotted her on the feild at the back of the house in a big area of bushes but we cannot catch her, we have not seen her for the past hour or so and now its dark. Ive left a carrier full of her fave food etc to try and catch her, is there anything else we can do?
Im worried about the babies, there 3 weeks old, they eat dried food well and drink water, can they survive from this age without mum? obviously im praying we find her but im stressing about the babies.

I cannot believe someone has done this, im so angry and stuck at work until 10pm so i cannot even help.

You/OH will need to sit and watch the hutch all night. Mum is likely to return to feed the kits at some stage. Can the hutch be left so she can get in but kits cant get out ? Leaving it like that will only be a viable option if someone is watching ALL NIGHT.

I would get padlocks to use on the hutch etc from now on.

Didn't think of that, that's tonights plan then, my oh is still outside now just sitting there Incase he spots her. I'm going tesco straight from work hoping they have the small locks I need if not I'll bein them indoors until security is sorted. Thanks for the advice

How absolutely awful for you all - wrap up warm, get some hot drinks and wait for Mum to come back - I am sure you will do everything you can - I would be outside no matter what doing everything I could :cry::cry:

unless very very distressed (or cannot find way back) she will come back and feed the kits - usually they feed between midnight and 6am (just the once).

it takes a few minutes so your husband r you will have time to shut the cage.

i would actually suggest bringing cage indoors for a while after you have her back.

Thanks everyone.

She can easily get into the garden thankfully and were she was last spotted is not that far from the garden, I'm itching to get home, if I was worked in an office or something I'd Of left earlier but Being a support worker/carer it's not that easy :(

I'm worried about my garden now and whatever idiot has done this, we have no issues with anyone around here.

Thinking about it, I don't think it a good idea to put food in the caarrier. She may eat it and run off again. You need to get her into the hutch. Perhaps put the babies somewhere safe and wait by the open hutch until she hopefully returns then quickly close her in. Put her food in the hutch.

Thinking about it, I don't think it a good idea to put food in the caarrier. She may eat it and run off again. You need to get her into the hutch. Perhaps put the babies somewhere safe and wait by the open hutch until she hopefully returns then quickly close her in. Put her food in the hutch.

Makes sense, Will do that!

Thanks so much everyone for advice, been in tears for ages but feeling a bit more hopeful of getting her back now, I don't think about her coming back to feed them.

Another thought - rabbits can't see well in the dark and scare easily so dont make sudden moves or noises if you see her coming back. GOOD LUCK

Oh my gosh i really feel for u, I worry about this happening all the time as I'm out at work all day and get a lot of children/teenagers playing and hanging around next to my garden as I have a footpath and bit of land at the side of my house. Although its secure and high fences, kids can climb if they wanted to. It was prob children/teens who did it but I'm not surprised ur angry I would be furious! Not got my padlocks yet but got the hasps fitted so ur story has spurred me on to get the padlocks!! I really hope she comes back for u, what a horrible situation. One of my rabbits dug out a couple of times last summer and it is such a horrible feeling, thankfully with a bit of help from the neighbour and some rabbit herding skills she came back in the way she'd got out so they do know where they've come from, I'm sure she'll make her way back. Good luck.

I have everything crossed that you can catch her. I had to resort to throwing a blanket over mine many years ago when they escaped, maybe have one to hand just incase you manage to get close enough to slow her down a bit. I didn't like doing it to mine as it must have scared them but better than losing them.

Good luck xxx

Back