• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanting to rehome a bun in Bury St Edmunds... Help please!

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Hi there,
I'm sorry I only ever seem to come over when I want something!
Jasper is doing well, we've recently moved to Bury St Edmunds, and I feel that he's starting to get a little lonely :( I wish I'd taken two when we got him, but I was assured that they can live happily alone. Trouble is, I really don't want to take the risk of getting a new bun home and them not liking one another. I've read that some charities will offer bonding services, but I also don't want to go far from Bury as Jaspie hates the car with a passion, and I'm guessing it would take several trips for the entire process to work. I've looked at several places local to me, I emailed Suffolk Animal Rescue but received a very short, sharp email back telling me I need to phone someone there who deals with buns. I've looked at Cotton Tails Rabbit Rescue too, but they seem to be completely unwilling to rehome when a house bun doesn't have complete free rein all the time (Jaspie's in a cage while we're at work, the carpet bills were getting out of hand!).
Does anyone please have any advice? I'm really stuck!
Thanks
Milly

Just a thought regards to you having to keep jasper in a cage whilst you are not there, would you be a ble to consider buying a dog pen for him to section off part of a room?

You can buy off cuts of carpet quite cheaply from carpet shops to have under the pen and then if he digs/pees or ortherwise destroys the carpet it really doesn't matter. You may then find it easier to rehome from a rescue, many of which do offer a bonding service. I don't know about any rescues in your area but the one I work for takes your bun off your hands for a week or so and bonds the bun for you. You only get bun and companion back when we are confident that they are happy together.

Good Luck!

We have a pen that we use for sectioning off the telly, I'd love to use it for him during the day, but I'm trying to get my inferior brain around the mechanics! As it's one that comes into 4 separate panels, he's quite adept at lifting it, either to throw a panel aside or squeeze under it, and I'm not sure how to weight it. We have the entire living room covered with blankets on the floor to stop carpet destruction (little ******'s figured out how to do it so quietly that if we don't watch him like a hawk he can make half a carpet bald before we notice; as we rent, it's becoming an expensive hobby!) But I'm SO paranoid that if we left him for the day, he'd escape or smoosh himself or do something horrible and hurt himself :( I have a week off work coming up that I hope I can use to closely monitor him if you have any suggestions as to how to do this.
I'm sorry, I think I have first-time mum syndrome, I constantly panic about ways he can hurt himself!

have you tried Caroline at Rabbit Residence Rescue (near Royston so not very far at all!!). She has about 130 buns in all awaiting new homes - she also does bonding for you!!

her buns on Rabbit Rehome (and on her own website) are sometimes a bit out of date as she has SO much to do - so really worth giving her a call/email and asking what girlies she has in.

Good luck!

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk

Pen wise you can get a 6 panel puppy pen from ebay or pet shops which you could attach with cable ties or dog lead type clips you could then get some sort of mesh to put over the top

Thank you, that's really helpful, I'll take a look right now!

emailing her or her helpers is the best way forward - then arrange to visit at a weekend - (you have to arrange it in advance ).

she has SO MANY buns - every time I go in for one I come out with two!

If you attatch a pen to his cage, you can put lino on the floor to protect the carpet. I have had on the odd occassion put pen panels on top of a run and then put weights on it if I am worried about them moving it.

I have this pen-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42-8-Side...plies_Dogs&hash=item1c27641a3e#ht_2244wt_1195

It is set up in a rectangle one panel wide and 3 long and is 2ft by 6ft. It's over 3ft high so he's not going to jump out and heavy enough to stop him wriggling underneath it.

I think it's also a bit heavy to be pushed around BUT if he started to do so I would pop down to the beach (or in your case prob a garden centre) and pick up some largish nice smooth pretty rocks (or bunny ornaments :D) and place one against each panel so he couldn't move them. If you make sure the carpet/Lino has a decent overhang round the pen then he shouldn't be able to dig it up too much.

Only prob is that it is NOISY, we have him in the bedroom as had to split the brothers up and he has so worked out how to rattle the bars to great effect. But if you let him out when you get home then he wont need to rattle the bars to get out!

Also because of the height adding levels to increase floor space is an option...

Edit- forgot to say that door does not seem perfectly aligned, so can be stiff, still perfectly functional tho, maybe I just got a dud one!

Last edited:
Back