• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help. Rabbit has tumour on left hock. Advise needed

Nettyi

New Kit
Can anyone please advise on what to do?
Our 3.7 month old French lop house rabbit has just been diagnosed with a timour on his left hock, which has started to eat into his bone. The right one has started to show signs of deteriation also but not to the same degree. This was picked up by a different vet at the same vet hospital. We have brought him home he is as usual in good spirits. The only sign of anything wrong with him is in the last four weeks he has starred to drag his left leg along. This would come and go. Two weeks ago I took him to the vet who examined him said couldn't feel anything wrong, grace pain killers and I was asked to keep an eye on him. We have just returned from a week away and noticed it was no better so today he was crated which showed up the tumour. The first vet who examined and xrayed thumper offered an amputation or euthanasia, the vet we got to see later on was not same vet, she looked at the X-ray and noticed right hock deteriorating. We have brought him home to discuss options which given the opinion of second vet doesn't really feel like we have any options.
Can anyone offer any advise on this please.
Many thanks
Nettyi

Is it on the underside of his foot or the side? I'm just trying to clarify, has he got 'sore hocks' ie wounds on the heal of his foot? It sounds odd to me that he would have separate 'tumours' both hocks and at such a young age.

Rabbits can do fine on three legs but, removing one puts more pressure on the other, so if the issue is sore hocks that might not be a viable option. If it is sore hocks then there are things you can do to help reduce the issue/nursing care such as changing the flooring/bandages that remove the pressure etc.

Are they sure it is a tumour and not an abcess? As Tamsin says, some sore hocks can be treated and some measures taken to reduce the risk of them getting worse.

Back