• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluffy not eating again

Dave81

Mama Doe
Got an appointment at 7pm as Fluffy isn't eating tonight, she's definitely not well as she's doing the usual sitting on the top tier of her cage rather than chilling out in the living room.

It's either the 4th or 5th time this year now, could times in March maybe one or 2 in May and now today.

Usually giving her gut simulation med and a pain killer gets her going again

Poor girl :cry:

Hope she feels better soon

Thanks Jane

Hopefully she will be fine once the meds are given, I've at least been through this with her before.

Not sure what sets it off with her just something I will have to live with. She eats loads of hay during the day

Hi,

I've just had exactly the same problem with my bun - trip to the vet yesterday morning - £32 lighter and now he's fine. He has these episodes quite often too and I never know what triggers them.

We've had the normal injections given so in a few hours I expect to see her eating again.

Vet says she felt slightly bloated, her stomach, passages etc were empty and couldn't hear much gut sound.

I've never worked out why Fluffy gets it every so often. I don't feed much veg, she has pellets and unlimited hay. I guess some are more prone to it than others?

Luckily I know her behaviors inside out so tend to catch it early.

The staff have just joked that they are going to reserve me a seat as they have seen me 5 times in the last 7 days :lol:

No sign of any changes in her behavior yet, I've been unable to get any critical care into her as she's too feisty. Going to set my alarm for around 1am to check up on her, she's in her cage with lots of goodies around her as tempting treats, just hoping Jezebel doesn't catch on or else she will eat it all.

Fluffy is more active today she still hasn't eaten much, bit of basil, small amount of dandelion mix.

Hopefully she will come round in a bit and get on with some pellets and hay

Fluffy is more active today she still hasn't eaten much, bit of basil, small amount of dandelion mix.

Hopefully she will come round in a bit and get on with some pellets and hay

Any poos yet ?

She may need more medication today. Where you given any to administer ?

Also, once through this episode I would suggest the Vet tries to establish a primary cause for the recurrent problem. As treating the symptoms is not really addressing the actual cause.

Not seen any yet will check again when i get up, no other meds but they did say to ring up this morning with an update.

How would you investigate what the problem is given that it's sporadic

Not seen any yet will check again when i get up, no other meds but they did say to ring up this morning with an update.

How would you investigate what the problem is given that it's sporadic

Could be Dental, could be urinary tract, could be chronic impaction- there are loads of possibilities but the Vet does need to look into each one individually. A process of elimination really..... no pun intended !!

Thanks, I've booked her in for another appointment this morning, as all she will eat at the moment is soft things like basil. I feel a dental coming on, poor girl keeps on looking at me with sad eyes, although she is much more lively than yesterday

Had some more injections earlier rather than admitting her, it seems to be slowly working as she is now grazing slightly at some dried foods.

Fluffy has passed a few poos too, still slightly worried for her but she appears to be on the mend

I'm focusing on getting her better first before looking for causes of the problem.

Back