• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, urgent, Thor in trouble after neuter. UD post 27

Hele

Warren Veteran
I had my bun Thor neutered earlier today, I think he woke up from his anasthetic about 2pm came home at 6.

Barely eating, and only then if I place food between his teeth and wait. Have syringe fed him a bit but no real luck there either.

Just noticed that the left side of his scrotum has swelled up into a balloon, it's really scaring me, I have phoned the emergency vet who has said that I need to get him on a cold compress and try to get him eating. He has had metacam but not sure if anything else and I can't give him more till morning. Is there anything else I can do? His scrotum looks like it might pop, it must be so painful. We tried to get pics but they are not all that clear...

Any ideas or suggestions? Got him to sit still on a bag of frozen veggies wrapped in a towel for 5 mins giving him a break now as I don't want to freeze him!

08FB2641-C049-4182-9DA5-952C624C36D1-381-000000BC9239EFB3.jpg

758A853D-FDB0-44D2-AAAC-73D81B73B397-381-000000BC903623D2.jpg

This was him earlier on, he looks so miserable :cry:
83041AE5-B054-486D-B5CE-37471345FF29-381-000000BC039D9D75.jpg

Last edited:
Eek bless him! Mush up his favorite veggies and pop them in a bowl for him?? Sounds good with the frozen veggies idea though and to give him a break, can get burns from the cold if it's on constantly. Could you leave some in with him he might hop on it himself if the testicle is burning up. I have those ice pods all the time for time as it's hot here

Hi Hele, poor bunny he looks so sore, the frozen veg will help but make sure you keep a cloth between him and the frozen stuff to prevent freeze burn. It cant be right for it to swell that much but i am no expert - i only have girl buns. I have very fussy feeders when ill, but mushed banana, syringe feeds, kale and wild stuff like dandelion and bramble all seem to tempt a few bites. I hope he feels better soon. let us all know how he gets on.
Rxx

Thanks guys he is really in a bit of a state. He seems to like the ice. He just chose to sit on it for a bit and he looked a lot brighter though sitting on ice would wake you up a bit at a guess! Also ice kick started him pooping:shock: which is good news at least!

Just took 2ml of mushed ss pellets and water, with some apple and banana purée baby food mixed in to make it more tempting. That was a struggle ESP as I didn't want to hold him lower than shoulders to avoid hurting him.

On the downside he is now so swollen he is oozing blood :cry: and tooth grinding :cry::cry::cry:

I'm gonna let him have a few more ice sessions then if no improvement I'm going to phone the emergency vet back. I know the vet on duty tonight. She's not an exotics vet but I do believe she is a good vet which is good. I'd hate to be talking to someone who I didn't know if I could trust.

That looks and sounds very nasty. Obviously I'm not an expert, but I would want him seen by a vet ASAP. I just dont think he should be that swollen and if he is tooth grinding I would be very worried about the level of pain he is in.

Sending huge vibes for your lovely Thor xx

I really don't know but I would phone the vet back if you are still concerned and not happy to leave him for the night. Swollen and oozing blood does not sound very nice :( Hope he's feeling better soon :(

The tooth grinding has now stopped thankfully, he needed another ice numbing session. I will almost certainly be calling the vet back, there would have to be some serious improvement before I'll leave him and go to bed.

I think I'll give him another 30 mins to an hour before phoning the vet again, he is brighter since the ice pack was introduced and although the swelling has I think got a little worse that was in the mins after the fist call. I only phoned the vet just before 11 and I know swelling will always take some time to go down I think I need to give him that time.

If he worsens even a little bit I will be straight back on that phone!!!

Just checked again, too much blood for my liking, he isn't making anything he sits on bloody it's only really enough to stain his belly but looks very alarming.

Phoning vets now.

She is saying that swelling is normal and that they can swell even bigger but the blood is concerning her. I have just emailed a pic to her. He now looks like this... :cry::cry::cry: seems more like himself tho :?

710E884F-331F-4E8C-9951-CB75196BA000-381-000000D717C66F40.jpg

I have to go to sleep now but hope she gets back to you on the photo with advice on what to do next :( can see why you are concerned, I would be too!

Thanks! Nite! I'm getting rather sleepy now too.

But guess who has just decided that he is hungry?:D:D:D

:shock: That is really alarming looking, i didn't know that could happen after a bun is neutered :shock:

Hope he's okay. Eating is very good sign :D

Got response from vet. To paraphrase - It's very very swollen, unusually so but not terrible. If I was to take him in their course of action would be to drain it and then bandage him up nappy style which would leave him at risk of infection. So not doing that. Apparently I can try applying direct gentle pressure to the scrotum with a cold pack to try and stop the bleeding, if he'll let me.... Eek how the heck... Cos I'm sure a boy with a painful scrotum is going to love me pressing it with something cold :shock:

Now I just have to stay awake. To stop him worrying at it, and to be able to phone again if the bleeding worsens, and to attack him with a wrapped up ice cube :roll:

He ate 3 ss pellets and about 15 hawthorn leaves, not a feast but it'll do me for now!

That is very alarming but sounds very good that he is eating. Good luck staying up with him until the rabbit savvy vet can see him.

Poor Thor :cry:

I would get him back to the Vet ASAP, that looks like it *might* be a herniated castrate :cry:

I do hope not and that he will soon be much better. Please dont delay getting him seen by a Vet again this morning

Oh No, poor Thor. I hope he does and has improved, one of our Rabbits at the rescue picked up a small infection after his neutering and they were no where near as swollen as your poor boys.

I really hope he feels better today and it is a good sign that he is eating.

Im sending Mega vibes to you and Thor :love:

Poor Thor :cry:

I would get him back to the Vet ASAP, that looks like it *might* be a herniated castrate :cry:

I do hope not and that he will soon be much better. Please dont delay getting him seen by a Vet again this morning

What is a herniated castrate? I have a general idea but it's a scary term!

He is now eating some food, pooping and peeing normally, he prefers his ss porridge to hard food so I'm making him some more of that but he was even nibbling on hay last night. His demeanour is no longer one of pain and he is almost acting like normal, if a little scared of me as I keep doing evil things to him

I spoke to the vets before coming on here, so had not seen your advice (they also caught me napping, it was a long night) and explained that the swelling is still horrid, the bleeding has stopped and he is bright and eating and we agreed to keep his appointment for first thing tomorrow rather than stress him out again. If I need to phone them back I will though.

Back