• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tell me im right waiting till tomorrow........

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
used my little cleaning machine to get so much bunny wee out of the carpet in my bedroom doorway...norty phebe pushes tray aside and pees and poops there to show lily and hunnybunny in my room whos boss.
i used the little cleaner and it sent phoebe and merlin nuts banging their feet etc so my daughter said....so we dont know about lily and hunybunny as id kept them caged to try and get te spot outside lilys cage clean too.

when i packed it away after a whole tank of cleaner in my doorway..i stoped going to do my room as buns were so upset. lily was in her litter tray and had done a long line of obviously runny poo with cecals at either end.
she was eating fine. ...bright enough but her poos are slowing downagain. I was horrified to find that in her tray but because she stuck her head in the hay and scoffed a whole load i wasnt too concerned id see how she went,

today its been sleep whilst i can wuth neuralgia and pain meds..ive checked lily no excess cecals let alone runny poo..sge is eating and there are poops but not like there should be.

because shes bright alert and eating.....i rang and made an appt for tomorrow morning with a bun savvy vet...ive medicated her with syringes into her mouth of ..zantac....metacam and metaclopramide.
If she ets worse then ill take her as an emergency but im hoping medicating her again tonight will keep her ok til morning.

i know ive had ths hundreds of times before but i think i have no faith in myself anymore to make a good call. Would you do as im doing or would you ave tried fr an appt this evening with a vet who is a terrible vet...not bu ny minded at all.....gave me a shet about buns and GA and it advised me to starve her!

Given her history of strange febrile episodes leading to her becoming very poorly I think I'd want her seen tonight to be honest.

Did you examine her abdomen before giving the medication ?

Jane thank you for replying. Nooooo its bluebell who gets these weird febrile episodes.

Lily has had me do the owner checklist....and touch wood shes not feeling bloated particularly....i gave her metacam metaclopramide and zantac.....she has eaten all her pellets from earlier..only a small amount but shes like merlin..little at a time. shed drunk a bit of water and had been nibbling on some hay. The smell is still there and now she has a bit of rock hard dry poo on her bottom about 5p size....so that was from earlier..its too hard to remove and i will not get her wet in a fragile state.

shes very eager to be fed....and pleased to see me and not sure why i wont let her or hunnybunny out. After last night i needed to monitor them fir stress levels...cant do that when theyre snoring under my bed!

gave her her meds and plucked a bit more loose fur thats appeared again. As i picked her up she did two odd shaped quite large poops joined by fur. When i went to pop her in her cage she did the same again. There are hardly any poos but there a few teeny ones. And shes very alert.
However shes got cold back feet...everything else is fine but the soles of her feet feel cold. ive shoved a whole carrier bag of hay in her cage so she can make her own bed. no windows open. shes digging iut the hay strands but not eating it with gusto..omg i bet its her teeth again! shes the one who each time shes had a dental doesnt pick up right away...they think she may have a stricture in her gut.
If she has to have a dental then ill ask fir her tummy to be xrayed too....so we kniw whats causing any stricture...merlins got necrotic fatty tissue and fatt lilomas in hs tummy around his gi tract.

i am always scared its going to be cancer...she was speyed summer 2011 when i adopted her from the rescue....and thats old for a girlie bun....she was listed as four and a half but vet thought it was more likely five and a half...so shes now six and a half. Cant help it.....losing mum to it has made me very jumpy.

i have booked a morning appt with our bu vet and as i type its 02.01 in the morning and shes seeming pretty bright...but i am all too well aware hiw quick they go downhill.

sniffed hunnybunnys litter tray and merlin and phoebes....dont smell like lilys and all cleaned outvat same time etc. ive used biocatolet as i couldnt carry the back2 nature litter upstairs. but its been a whole bag....it woukd have smelt funny before right? no i think lilys got a UTI to smell like that but shes not straining in thenlitter tray and in and out.

i will report what the vet says.

thank you for replying jane. x

Back