• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Consultation Charges

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I was just wondering how much you all pay for a basic consultation for your rabbits. I used to pay £12 ish but I took my rabbit in last week and was charged £25.18!!!! They said they now charge the same price for rabbits, cats and dogs. Is this normal?

Ours is £20 for consultation but if they go for their vaccs then it's included in the price so we don't actually pay extra for it:)

Cats are £20 and dogs are £25 I think.

Yep, pretty normal now I'm afraid! It used to be the case that "Small animals" were often charged less, whether that's because there was always a limit on what could be done, or because people wouldn't take them otherwise (or perhaps a bit of both) I don't know, but now it's much more normal to be charged a standard consultation fee whatever animal you take. After all, the vet's professional time is still being used the same for the consultation, regardless of what animal they are seeing.

Think it's about £26 for a standard consultation at the practice I go to, this then goes down to something like £21 for a follow up and £18 for 3rd and subsequent revisits on the same condition, but this will vary - some vets have higher consult fees and lower drug fees, others have higher drug fees and lower consult fees. No two vets have exactly the same business model I guess!

ours is £30 but the vet we prefer to see usually doesn't charge me a consultation fee hence my last visit cost me the princely sum of £7.20. he can do that cos he's the boss!

sometimes when I see the other vets they forget to charge the special "second visit for this problem" cost (£18.00) and I end up paying the £30 so it balances out eventually.

Last edited:
Back