• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incubation time of myxi?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
One of my rabbits has myxi. He'd had his jabs so thankfully he only seems to have it mildly - lumps on his head and body. His wife Jasmine seems to be perfectly okay at the moment. Would she have had to have been bitten by an infected insect to catch it or can she catch it off Jake? How long would it take to show if she does catch it?
Also the vet told me that hes never seen a rabbit go down twice with myxi? Does that mean Jake will have lifetime immunity against the virus or will he still need to have his myxi jabs?

I have no idea, sorry, but just wanted to wish you well :)

I think the best person to answer your questions though, is your vet.

Incubation time is roughly 10 to 14 day from infection to showing .

Personally I feel the very first symptoms are a reluctance to come out into daylight. This then goes when the nodules show.

Infection. The is much debate and some earlier threads on this. Official advice is that the mucus does carry infection but personally I have nev had direct bun to bun transmission despite keeping pairs together when one infected.

Of course they can still transmit via being bitten by fleas or mossies

Re immunity. This is not proven to be the case and I have always continued vaccination usually starting again 12 months after the illness has gone or just before the next maxi season

Back