• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your hay??

A bale lives in the garage in a garden storage trunklike box. Then I fill big gardening tubs with it which live upstairs, one in each bunnyroom.

I get mine in large polyprop sacks from dust free hay. The one that I am using stays on top of the crate and the others are stored in my cupboard upstairs. The sacks let the hay breathe so all good :)

I am struggling to find a way to store the 9.5 hay from hay for pets between two outdoor buns and two indoor.

we used to split ours in to recycling bags, like so....
hay.jpg

you could put half in bags like that and leave the other half in the original bag.

A bale, so it is on the slatted side of an old wooden cot, on the outhouse floor. I keep it on the wood as that raises t a bit from the floor and let's air circulate round.

Am in the process of moving the buns out to a shed which is going to have a Runaround, and a pen attached. Currently, I have to carry them out to their pens. So their hay will then go in the shed, again on my wooden cot side!

We leave it in the bag in the kitchen but I think we're going to get a plastic tub to store it in cos Buttons has taught Nibbles how to rip holes in the bottom :shock:

I get the 9.5 kilos and there is just no room :lol:

I store part of it in a garden bin, another part in bin bags and the rest in the bag it came in!

Bales in the shed but I have 3 fliptop/crocodile top bins for my various hay. One for meadow bale, one for ings, one for oat and barley and the burns green oat is in it's bags, the readigrass bale is also in the shed.

In the shed. I decant it into plastic bags on the drive home (I get bales), we usually stop in a country lane. If we decant itt at home we get all hay traveling down the main road and annoying the neighbours.

I can't keep it in just a bale form as it causes such a mess and I only have a 6x4 shed to store all the food and carry cases, bedding etc for 12 furries. :wave:

Last edited:
I keep one or two bales in the garage inside a plastic storage container in the garage and the one I'm using goes in a duvet in the cupboard under the stairs next to the back door.
It's messy but as long as I sweep up every day it's not too bad.

Ours comes in polyprop sacks from Dust Free hay and we store in the larder in the kitchen. :wave:
Our larder goes right back under the stairs, so loads of space for bunny stuff!

Mine is in a bale bag you can buy from horse shop or online. I Stand on end in the shed sitting on 2 wire plant pot stands with the top saggy to let air circulate.
Means the mess is made putting the bale in the bag at the horse shop, I then take a section out at a time and put in a tub trug

Last edited:
I leave it in the garage in the bag it comes in (9.5k from Hay for Pets).

Every week or so I fill up a smaller bag (this one! http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/the-hay-bag.html) with hay and keep it in Hopscotch's room so it's to hand when I want to top up his hay rack/litter tray.

I'll have to invest in some of those bags. :). I had a thought of putting it into one of those big rubber flexi tube things you get in Asda and Tesco.

Those bags look handy :)

I keep my meadow hay in the bag it comes in, on a shelf in a big storage cupboard. The timothy hay is packed differently - it is sooo long and compressed that I can't get it out of the bag by the handful, so I empty it into a big recycle bag at the moment.

Back