• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just need to tell someone (sad story)

freddie&daphne

Warren Scout
Sorry if it upsets anyone but really need to share what I just saw. Driving on the back roads I've just seen a poor little wild bun dragging itself across the road with its front legs, back legs just dangling limp behind him. It's totally broken my heart, I couldn't say anything in the car as my little girls were in the back and I didn't want to upset them. My little Freddie (castor mini rex) looks a lot like a wild bun which makes it worse. It just looked so desperate, I can't stop thinking about it. We see a lot of totally flatten buns on the roads but somehow this was so much more upsetting. So sorry to spread the misery but my hubby's not an animal lover so wouldn't understand. Just needed to get it out. :cry:

Oh how terrible :cry:

I take it you couldn't have stopped and gathered it up to take to your vet to be PTS? They will do that for free for wild animals.

Try not to be too upset - if you'd have been 10 minutes later (or earlier) you wouldn't have seen it; it's just very unfortunate timing that you did.

I didn't think of that but it was on a bend so I would have had to leave my girls in the car to go back and tbh it would have upset them too much, they are only 6 and 3 and really love rabbits. If I'd had another adult with me I could have but I couldn't have held it and driven.

Would have upset me too. Injured and ill wild animals usually end up as prey pretty fast, I would assume, so hopefully the poor little bun will no longer be suffering. Nature can seem so cruel but it is also amazing.

We found Bramble (we named him/her, as we dont beleive a bun should go to the bridge without a name) on the side of the road, when i approached dragged him/herself away on just front paws also. We picked him/her up and wrapped in a tshirt and called RSPCA who were excellent, gave me details of a local vet and we drove him/her there. Bramble was examined and promptly taken to be PTS :cry:

But it was the best thing, rather than become a foxes dinner :(

Binky free little wildie.

Back