• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So frustrating

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
2-3 years ago my neighbour asked for help with her bunny, there was blood all over the hutch, she said it was from where the bunny was in season, I explained that bunnies don't have periods and told her it was uterine cancer and got her to a vet for her, the next day her bunny died.

The next thing, she went to the local pet shop and bought 2 bunnies, yep you guessed it, 4 months later she was knocking on my door again because there were babies everywhere, many of them died because the Mum was exhausted but the 4 from the first litter survived

I confiscated the Dad from her, that was Bailey, he had his teeth growing up his nose, I had him neutered and his incisors removed, he is still with me and doing great, I got all he other bunnies neutered and told her repeatedly about hay, pellets, fresh water and vegetables, I even showed her how to trim their nails, I gave her some bags of Science Selective and Junior and Dwarf for the babies

Oh Lord, last Tuesday she knocked on my door cuddling one of the bunnies and said "I don't know what's the matter with her but she has cut herself all underneath" as she stood there the maggots were dropping out of the rabbits bottom, I told her that her bunny had flystrike and she needed to get it to a vet NOW

I made her get in her car and she drove off to the vets

I went round to her back garden to check the other 4 bunnies and they are OK but his is what I found when the bunny with flystrike was living

Marilyn003x2.jpg

Marilyn001x2.jpg

Marilyn002x2.jpg

Marilyn004x2.jpg

There was not one piece of hay in any of the hutches, not one, there are a few strands of straw left and bowls of **** mix

The hutches are 3 foot x 2 story hutches, the bunnies don't get out of them

The bunny with flystrike was PTS'd

I am just so upset and angry, it would appear that no matter how many times you tell someone they just don't listen

Show the pics to the RSPCA and report the person?

You're very thoughtful to help several times and even neuter her rabbits for her.

:cry::cry: Poor poor bunny. That is like living next door to bunny hell. :evil:

The state of that hutch. :evil: The caked on poo on the floor.

She is never going to learn. She must see your bunnies, why would she think they would want to live in a pokey little pig sty. Poor buns. :cry:

Just tell her to stop being a dumb b*%&£

If someone came to me for advice and ignored it I would get mad. I would threaten with reporting her to the RSPCA. Might give her a kick up the jacksy

Oh that's dreadful and so unnecessary.

I'd report her to the RSPCA - you've got photographic evidence so use it.

Poor bunnies :cry:

It's no good reporting her to the RSPCA because they are useless in this area and won't do a thing, they won't even come out so I would be wasting my time

The other bunnies will stay with her

Ghastly.The thing is, if you took those bunnies away, she would get more.That is so bloody sad and ignorant and cruel and just plain aggravating.

Oh dear :( can you give her a rwaf leaflet on flystrike, and tell her how to avoid it as well, but so she has the leaflet to refer to after? Maybe slip in a few more as well as a 'thought itd be good to have these as well' kind of way.

Were all four rabbits living in that hutch?
What a dreadful situation for these bunnies and awful for you to know how they are living and unable to do much about it:(

If the RSPCA won't do anything (which doesn't surprise me, by the way) then how about your local council?

Back