• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping rabbits

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
I want to get mine done, but I'm scared it'll hurt them :( anyone else who has had their bunnies done, did your bun's react in a way to show they were in pain? Did they act funny at all after or go off their food?

Really nervous about it but I want them done so that if they ever escape or get taken they might be identified and get back safely. I don't expect they could escape from my garden or be stolen but you never know.... But I don't want them to hurt :(

It only hurts them when they put it in, same as a vaccine (but hurts a bit more). Are yours already neutered? I've had some done whilst they were neutered so it didn't hurt at all.

Yep both neutered so that boat has sailed unfortunately :(

They don't react at all to vaccines, but then I know rabbits don't react too obviously with pain if at all :s

Roxy was done when neutered, Rory came from rescue neutered so had his done when he was awake and he was absolutely fine.
Jack & Rex will have theirs done when theyre neutered too.

I microchipped my two, ddint seem to bother them too much and they were fine and back to normal a wee bit later

Sounds promising........ :)

If it's not going to hurt them I'll def get them done :) especially as it's much cheaper than I expected too, which is an extra bonus :thumb:

Sounds promising........ :)

If it's not going to hurt them I'll def get them done :) especially as it's much cheaper than I expected too, which is an extra bonus :thumb:

it probably does hurt, its a large needle lol but unless your rabbits are very sensitive I wouldnt expect them to go off thier food or that :)

We had Ori done and he didn't bat an eyelid. I always think of it like having your ears pierced, it's quick and you don't really feel it.

We had Ori done and he didn't bat an eyelid. I always think of it like having your ears pierced, it's quick and you don't really feel it.

I read ears pierced as eyelids pierced and was like "woh!!!! Eyelids pierced?! That sounds horrific!!!!" :lol:

Good point about ear piercing though, I'm really afraid of pain yet when I've had my ears pierced they've never been painful even though you'd expect it to be quite painful :)

it probably does hurt, its a large needle lol but unless your rabbits are very sensitive I wouldnt expect them to go off thier food or that :)

They're not that sensitive, they're easily insulted if I don't feed/stroke them fast enough :lol: but they don't go off their food too easy so if most rabbits don't react to the microchip then I wouldn't expect mine to be too bothered :thumb:

At twickenham they like to do it under GA so saph was done when she had her spay but Rupert was already neutered and I'm not going to put him under just for it :)

Back