• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

panacur and metacam

blue_vix

Mama Doe
As most of you will know I'm currently worming all my bunnies. I'm on day 23 and have just run out of metacam. The vet is been a difficult about giving me any more because she's annoyed I used up what was left over from Terrah's treatment and Buffy and Button's spay instead of buying new to start with (but I had so much I didn't see the point in buying new, given I've treated 7 bunnies for 23 days with what I had left over). Is it still really important they have the metacam for the last 8 days? If it is does anyone have any advice on dealing with the vet?

Thanks xxx

Sorry i dont know the story, but if you are only using the Panacur for worming, you only need to give it for 9 days (its a single digit number, 8 or 9!) and i have no idea why you'd be using the metacam.

If you are using it for EC treatment, then yes, 28 days, and i'd only think you'd want metacam if there were signs of pain, or you were using it as an anti-inflammatory for some reason?

Sorry i dont know the story, but if you are only using the Panacur for worming, you only need to give it for 9 days (its a single digit number, 8 or 9!) and i have no idea why you'd be using the metacam.

If you are using it for EC treatment, then yes, 28 days, and i'd only think you'd want metacam if there were signs of pain, or you were using it as an anti-inflammatory for some reason?

ditto

panacur or lapizole for worms (9 days) or EC (28 days - but much debate about efficacy).

Metacam only for actual treatment of active cases of EC OR other disease or injury necessitating anti inflammatory/pain killer.

I'm doing it because Terrah died of EC related kidney failure so making the assumption they are all infected to be on the safeside. As I understand in an anti inflamitory needs to be used to prevent EC spores from causing permenant damage to the kidneys/ as advised to me on the thread when Terrah was ill.

ETA 3 of the 7 have had significant weight loss. I'm not financially in a position to have them all tested and also as they are living in a group I'm assuming it would be pointless to just treat the one's showing symptoms.

I wasn't aware that treatment of EC with panacur didn't come under the term 'worming'

Last edited:
I personally would try get some more from the vet.
Even if it may not be needed from now, I always like to have some spare just in case.

Thanks. I've an appointment at the vet in an hour with all 7. Would have liked some feedback first but I'll see what happens. xx

The anti-inflammatory is generally given alongside panacur in cases of active ec, because the symptoms which are shown are often as a result of an inflammatory response, so the panacur alone will not tackle the symptoms. If the 28 days is being given as a precaution and not because of active infection in those bunnies, I would not routinely give metacam alongside the panacur, I would only give it to the bun with the active infection.

If 3 of the 7 have active weight loss, I guess the question is whether that is down to ec and if so, whether this would be classed as an active infection. Have other things been ruled out, such as coccidiosis which can also cause weight loss. The other concern may be that if the weight loss if related to ec, that could indicate kidney problems, in which case metacam should not be given as this can make kidney problems worse. I think only you and your vet can make that judgement call I'm afraid. Good luck x

Well none of them have shown signs of EC but have been showing signs of kidney failure? and as the vets been fannying around and still have no conclusive diagnosis. She wasn't very good with regards to advising if I should treat them all or not. Just said to do so if it would make me feel better. I might see if she'll take some more blood tests today.

hmmm - with poss kidney failure I would def not give metacam unless absolutely essential . . it actually contributes to kidney failure.

Back