• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Exciting Evening - Beginnings of bloat

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
Well, at around 9:20pm Bilbo started thumping his feet for no discernible reason. 10 minutes later, we noticed Cloud looking uncomfortable, Bilbo trying to shift him and Cloud moving then laying down again. Having offered him hay, pellets and finally some banana, we rang our vet's emergency line, who said it sounded like bloat, and asked how soon we could get to the practice. When we got there she weighed him, felt his tummy and gave it a listen. She said it didn't feel fully bloated, but there was a gassy feel, although there were some normal stools to come. She gave him a strong pain relief, something to stimulate the gut, an antibiotic to stop the bacteria that cause gas, and metacam for longer lasting pain relief. He was then given some time on the floor to get him moving, which did despite not wanting to because the floor was slippy, then gave him another feel and a listen. We tried tempting him with a few varieties of food, and when he still wasn't playing she gave him some fibreplex. So we're back with fibreplex, and some critical care. Pineapple was suggested but the shops are all closed (it being a Sunday night and all!). So, for anyone who is still awake, does anyone have any hints on feeding with critical care? Just how best to ensure he gets as much as possible. I was told to try mixing the fibreplex with some baby food, but again the shops are closed so that's still to come. Right now he's still refusing everything, but we're keeping him moving if nothing else.

I guess I mostly just wanted to share my first time. I was meant to be heading off camping tomorrow too! I think this is Cloud's way of telling me not to go :lol: or I hope so. Hopefully he's just playing silly beggars and trying to scare mummy.

That was smart of Bilbo to alert you that Cloud wasn't feeling well. I have no experience with bloat but Julie had gi stasis once. That was pretty scary and started after vet hours also. We had to force feed her critical care. No fun but easier with 2 people. One to hold the bunny and the other to get the syringe of food into her mouth. I just mixed hers with boiled cooled water. Most of it came out the other side of her mouth but the vet had told me to do it every 2 hours hoping that some would get into her. Do you have any tasty herbs or any treats that Cloud normally loves to tempt her with? Sending lots of vibes for Cloud. The most of the critical care that we could get into Julie was just what messed her up and she licked off of herself.

Well we didn't have any herbs but the first feeding was at least amusing. He wouldn't play ball, but I think we got about half on his chin and half in him, which seems to be a fair score. Since then he started to eat a few bits of hay very slowly, until he was eating it as normal, then they both had their usual evening's pellets, which he wolfed down. He appears to be pooping, a bit small to begin with but no irregular shapes, and has had some plantain too. Right now I'm relieved that he's eating, but we're still giving him the critical care just in case ( the last batch he thankfully lapped up), and hopefully in the morning he'll still be all smiles. I'm getting a bit of sleep, and bf is taking the next feed :p

That is wonderful news. I will keep the vibes coming for him but sounds like he is well on his way to a fast recovery.

Back