• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit rehoming

soph86

New Kit
Hello,

Just looking for thoughts from other rabbit owners :)

I have owned rabbits my whole life and current have 2 rabbits (large enclosure, vaccinated, neutered- loves of my life!)- just so you know I am a serious owner and I care a lot about welfare.

I have seen a few ads on various websites (gum tree, free ads, preloved) for rabbits for sale from people who don't want the rabbit. The rabbits are usually on their own and in tiny hutches and are clearly not attended to as reasons for sale include "i never wanted the rabbit" and "my daughter has lost interest and i can't care for it anymore" "am getting rid of rabbit because...".

Do you think it is a good idea to buy these rabbits for a few pounds in order to care for them instead of rehoming through a rescue? I am thinking that at least rescues can vet new owners, give a rabbit a health check and ensure good welfare before and after rehoming. I wouldn't ever buy babies because it may encourage breeding etc. I am also thinking in some ways at least I know the poor thing wouldn't continue to be neglected until it is sold (could be months or years) or won't go to another owner who may not care for it well?

I am not sure my own opinion on the matter but wondered what other people thought?
Sophie

i think buying rabbits might encourage other people to sell them. or encourage rogue breeders to say 'oh this is a pet i don't want any more'.

i think the only way to stop people trading carelessly in animals is to completely stop buying them.

I have never paid for a bun, but have asked the owner if they will give the rabbit to me instead. This is how I got Hollyhock and Butterbur. The owner was going to give away Butterbur as she has deformities but wanted to sell Hollyhock and was prepared to split them up :(
Fortunately he agreed to give them both to me for no charge :D
However had he said no, and in view of their close bond I probably would have given the small sum he was asking for for Hollyhock as IMO Butterbur simply could not cope without her best friend and I would not have risked someone else only wanting the one bun:?

Do I agree with buying pets? Nope, but sometimes my heart rules my head and I make mistakes:oops:

Thanks for your replies. I can definitely see both points of view.

I have emailed one of the owners (who said they never wanted the rabbit in the first place, it was a child's present bought by someone else). The owner didn't know whether the rabbit had been neutered or what vaccinations were needed and I told them that a rescue could probably take the rabbit.

Definitely a heart versus head issue !

I wouldn't offer money because many breeders will try and get rid of their unwanted stock by making up stories in the adverts.

It would be good if you can offer any unwanted rabbit a new home. Where they come from is always a matter of judgement depending on needs and whether they are in danger. If you can't help then it's definitely worth sending them information about rehoming centres and how they can find a good home for their rabbit. Just be prepared incase they send a rude reply, some people don't like others offering suggestions.

I too read these ads and am horrified at the thought of how these poor buns will end up . There may well be someone reading these ads and on the spur of the moment think it is a good idea to have a pet rabbit at the moment. At least if they are with a rabbit savvy person there is some control over where they go or they could be back on that website in a couple of months. If ever I had the money I would love to take in these buns and find them loving homes. I think some of these people just "want shot of "the buns and are "trying in on" by asking for money but if someone shows interest they may be happy just to be rid.

On a practical note do you have enough money to neuter and vaccinate them all, enough space to accomodate them. Can you cope with unexpected illness or pregnancy? People on freeads lie alot!!! Having unneutered rabbits in the same place is not funny. If you can't do all this you may end up contributing to the problem in the long run. I speak from experience as I have 6 unexpected arrivals here from when I let my heart rule my head. I now have to find money for ops and new housing. If you have spare time and you sound like a great owner I would say look into fostering. You will free up space so the rescues can take in the most in need buns without the stress and that will really help. You'll also have a support network behind you. Xxx

Back