• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wighing Scales Recommendation - Please

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I am looking to purchase some weighing scales for rabbits and guine pigs. I used to have a very reliable set of baby scales but since they broke I have found it hard to find a good replacement. I have purchased 2 sepertae baby scales and they have been very unreliable (changing results every time you weigh the same animal).

As I have several bunnies with tooth problems I really need a good reliable set!

Thank you
Rachel

I'd still recommend baby scales. I got a second hand set from Ebay and they've always been accurate - every time the buns are weighed at the vets I come home and pop them straight onto my scales to ensure I get the same reading. Hope you find something you get on with.

Can't help as I'm just looking at purchasing some as the rabbits currently have to look all undignified sitting in a lasagne tray :lol:

What's your budget?

I would ideally like to spend about £35 but will spend a bit more for some I can feel confident in.

All the buns had their vaccinations last week and the vet weighed them. there was a big difference between their scales and ours. In the past we have been pretty similar so something has changed. Rupert was 4.99kg at the vets and 4.65kg at home!

Could be the vets is out? Have you tried weighing a full bag of sugar or flour to see if yours are correct?

I will try the sugar test when I but a new bag (we buy the 5kg bags so am usually mid bag).

Now have 5 buns booked in for a dental as even if I think the scales are "out" their weights have dropped and the vets can see spurrs and ulcers. ;-(

Hope the dentals go fine, had my 1st one with Jigsaw yesterday, I'm going the hay munching starts soon

Thank you. All 5 are booked in for tomorrow (when my preferred vet is operating). A little worried about one of them as he has a lot of other health issues but needs must.

I do hope you bunny pulls around really soon. x

Back