• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor buns - minimum space in sq ft for 3 medium/small buns.

bekki2308

Young Bun
Originally I let them free range a bedroom (not sure how large but 9x12 as a guess probably larger though) but one of the buns is incredibly naught and has learned how to climb/jump furniture and now on a daily basis pulls everything off every shelf she can possibly reach and she has developed a habbit of biting my ankles (I turn my back and stomp my feet when she does this, apparently this is what I should do according to google and she goes away for a bit but its not long until she is back), In this room there are also guinea pigs and hamsters who I cannot easily see due due to devil bitey bun who always wants attention when I am doing other stuff. I love her cheek dont get me wrong but I need to be able to see to the other animals (7 hams, 4 pigs) and protect my furniture as I have to keep everything above waist height (though she still gets some of that!) I also want to protect the jumping rabbit from herself as I dont want her to break a leg doing a jump from 4ft or up to 4ft. The other bunnies are no bother. For sizes the buns are English spot x lionhead, lionhead and smoke pearl. In the room they have a 5x2 hutch as a base then the room, though they dont use the hutch at all.

Theres the background :) So my thoughts are to build them an indoor run thingy that the spot cant jump out of and it means my ankles are safe!

I was wondering what the minimum space for 3 would be, I know that 6x2 hutch + 6x4 run is seen as a minimum for two but I dont think that is large enough. I google but only got answers about needing a shed and run (but im not doing that indoors!)

Last edited:
The new RWAF minimum is 6x2 + 8x4 for two. That makes 44sqft.

You're not really going to get a pen big enough without it taking up most of your room, it would be a lot easier if you could move them into a different room.

But if you want a pen, I'd say 60sqft - I have a 6x2 hutch attached to an 8x6 run (=60sqft) and I'd say it would be okay for a trio of small-medium buns. So from your point of view that would be a pen or a NIC setup, easiest to do would probably be 10x6=60 or 7x9=63 if you wanted to keep them in there permenantly.

eta- depending on how good jumpers your guys are, I'd make the walls of the pen at least 3 and a half foot hight, maybe higher if you are going to put something in there they could use as a launch-pad/legup, e.g the hutch.

Last edited:
Sadly there is no other room they can go in and they cant go outside (well in theory they can but I need new back gates,a new back door, a full shed and a run ... sadly there are other things that need my money before spending a grand to do that, its on the to do list mind).

I can fit 50sq ft in the room easily (bit of a jig around and could fit more) and still have space to move around them to sort the other animals out. I need to work on disciplining the spot more she drew blood last night and while I had a hamster who was in the process of being tamed in my hand poor ham got a fright when I screamed! There hutch is a 5x2 double hutch at the moment.

The NIC cubes is a good idea, I actually have some of those as I have guinea pigs and just checked and I can use them quite nicely to make a run :D

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to figure out why she is biting, rabbits dont just bite for no reason, she is trying to tell you something. I take it she is spayed, but I wouldnt rule out territorial behaviour. Will she bite when she is out of her room?

Yep she is spayed. Id love to know what she is trying to tell me though, googled it and its mixed affection/wanting attention and could be aggression.

Shes only bitten about 2 times in several months (though if I have flared trousers on she grabs the flares), just happend to be yesterday I had nothing covering my ankles, and usually gives a quick dig on my feet when she wants attention or when she is being ignored, and is happy enough when she gets a stroke and then she wanders off. She is a really friendly and cuddly rabbit shes only young (exact age unknown) and I do squeal when she bites and she seems to back off when I do the turn my back on her and stomp thing. She doesnt really come out of the room. If I go straight in and pet her she is fine with me. But sometimes that is not ideal to spend 10 minutes with her if I just want to nip in and grab all the water bottles and refil them/fill up food bowls and leave like on a morning before work for example on an evening she gets attention and hand fed herbs (and if im sat at my desk outside the room they get the run of the landing too), just had news off the mother I can have a shed outside.

Last edited:
Well it doesnt sound like nasty biting. Maybe if you wear cheap wellies in there and ignore her she will eventually realise she isnt going to get a reaction.

The most recent issue of Rabbiting On (RWAF magazine) says a gentle-ish nip and moving something to one side is 'no thankyou, dont want that', a gnaw or bite and pull is 'move it please' and a lunge and a very hard bite is aggression, often territorial, meaning 'you've pushed me to the limit'.

From what youve said it sounds like the second one. But it also sounds like attention seeking to me.

Flares?? Perhaps the movement startles her or perhaps she has bad eyesight??

My 2 nethies have the whole of my bedroom with just their pen with no door on it.They just jump in and out when wanting the litter tray.Yes I get poops but hardly any wee, and Little Miss can jump unlike her disabled husbun so she gets the bed too.
My bedroom door is ALWAYS open but oddly, they never go out of it.Very strange...

Ive never really seen her as she bites its only once she has done it that I notice, but she was stood at my ankle while I was sorting a hamster tank just now sniffing my ankles but she just looked normal, she definitely doesnt lunge she just sits at my feet. Its not so much that that means I need to build them a pen its more that she is more than likely to injure herself climbing furniture and I cant store anything on any shelf unless its above my waist at least even then she still drags things down, obviously Id prefer her not to bite or dig at my feet but I really dont want her to fall she jumps off things that are high up and there is nowhere else for them to go so I cant take away the things she climbs on.

She has nibbled my knees before when I was giving the other rabbit attention and herbs not her too. She is a cheeky little madam got to love her :D even the cat is scared of that one.

my matilda is a biter, if i walk past her fast, or move fast whilst near her, she will lunge and bite, but its never a really painful bite, never breaks the sking, its just a warning bite

Back