• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Gassy Tummy

Leckster

New Kit
So I've been reading this forum now for about a year but this is the first time I've ever posted.

So my little Elliot I noticed this week sounded like he had a bit of a gassy tummy (could hear it pop and gurgle on Tuesday after work) I haven't changed feeding food or hay or times that he is fed.

So today I worked and came home and noticed that he was very withdrawn and when I went to check his cage he kicked up his litter in the corner and he didn't eat much of his breakfast pellets. So I knew right away something was wrong.

So I started Feeding Him Oxbow Critical Care 10ml every 2 hours and gave him .4 of Ovol for the gas, I've also tried to get him to run around and I have also massaged his tummy, I also gave him some of his Favourite things to eat and he hasn't touched them.

I just want to know if I'm doing everything right and if there is something else I can do ? I want to take him to my vet who specializes in Buns but she isn't in till Monday and other then getting an X-Ray to see if its a blockage or gas I think as far as I know I'm doing everything I can.

So I've been reading this forum now for about a year but this is the first time I've ever posted.

So my little Elliot I noticed this week sounded like he had a bit of a gassy tummy (could hear it pop and gurgle on Tuesday after work) I haven't changed feeding food or hay or times that he is fed.

So today I worked and came home and noticed that he was very withdrawn and when I went to check his cage he kicked up his litter in the corner and he didn't eat much of his breakfast pellets. So I knew right away something was wrong.

So I started Feeding Him Oxbow Critical Care 10ml every 2 hours and gave him .4 of Ovol for the gas, I've also tried to get him to run around and I have also massaged his tummy, I also gave him some of his Favourite things to eat and he hasn't touched them.

I just want to know if I'm doing everything right and if there is something else I can do ? I want to take him to my vet who specializes in Buns but she isn't in till Monday and other then getting an X-Ray to see if its a blockage or gas I think as far as I know I'm doing everything I can.

Hello

He needs to go to a Vet today. Syringe feeding him if he has a blockage could make him very ill. You dont mention what his fecal output is like, what comes out is just as important as what goes in. Also, he will need pain relief and fluid therapy (subcutaneous or IV as well as oral). If a blockage is excluded as a possibility he will also need prokinetics to try to get his guts going again.

The Vet will also need to try to establish the primary cause of his gut problem, not just treat the symptoms.

The only useful advise we can give is to get your Rabbit seen by a Vet today

Good Luck

His out put was at 7pm he pooped 3 regular size poops. Since then nothing I have been feeding him and giving him fluids.

I'm headed to the over night emergency vet clinic in the next 15 min. I just want to make sure its not a blockage since he has been molting the last week.

Fingers Crossed

Back