• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue bunnies and age

Alicia

Mama Doe
I got Archie aged 5 months old in March 2011. He was found in the woods when he was 6 weeks old in December 2010 with his brothers and sisters. He's lived with me for over a year now and is very lovely and also perfectly healthy, but I wondered if this bad start in life may affect his life in the future? Izzy is 3 and was found on a motorway last year, they think she got out of someones garden, so I don't know how well she was looked after before she came to me, but she did have spurs on her teeth.
As I don't know about the breeding or previous care of Archie and Izzy, could there be a chance that they may not live as long as other rabbits? I know no-one knows for sure but I just worry about them dying young, and I'm doing what I can to keep them healthy and happy now, I wondered if them not having such a great start in life could affect their future?

I wouldn't worry about it too much - having seen where many pet shop buns come from I wouldn't say that most of those have the best start in life either! Two of my rescue buns are now over 9 years old, my rescue bun Harry was over 9 when he was pts and Santa was over 7 when she died, so I don't think you can really tell just from the fact that they are rescues. What's important is that they are loved and cared for now and for as long as you have them, however long or short that may be - hopefully long :D

Back