• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavioural issue with hay

Dave81

Mama Doe
I've had a post in health about Jigsaw not eating his hay then going off his food. That's partially sorted now I think however he's still not eating lots of hay.

I have loads of different types, today I've discovered if I hold some in front of him he will start to eat it and then move off to eat some on his own accord for a few minutes.

Has anyone ever come across this with their rabbits?

P.s myself and the vet don't believe it's his teeth, the more I see him decide to eat when I'm holding it the more I wonder why he's like this

Sorry that I have not read your other post but I have had this problem with Julie when she was younger. She just prefers everything else to hay. I had to really work with her. I tried lots of different tasty hays plus put herbs into the hay to entice her and a few special treats that she had to dig for. It really took a long time before she became a good hay eater and would eat the hay on her own. I notice even now though she will beg for stuff out of the refrigerator and special treats if I don't give her anything then she will go eat hay. She still enjoys the hay from my hands best and the hay that I put in her food bowl.

Is he a single bunny or bonded? I've noticed with Mini since Mischa passed away that she's eating less hay and isn't so enthusiastic when I put fresh in. He'd always come bounding over and she'd join him. Maybe because you're feeding it you're interacting and it's a bit like another bunny.

Thanks for the responses he was a brilliant hay eater but just stopped one day. I'm working on him it's just hard knowing he's not at the best he could be. I've got other dried items which he seems to like nibbling on and basil which he still loves.

He's a single rabbit has been for a few months since he fell out with his brother, I'm looking at bonding him again along with my 2 females some time in October

Have you tried fresh grass? Some bunnies categories that under veggies and eat more of it :)

Is he a single bunny or bonded? I've noticed with Mini since Mischa passed away that she's eating less hay and isn't so enthusiastic when I put fresh in. He'd always come bounding over and she'd join him. Maybe because you're feeding it you're interacting and it's a bit like another bunny.

I was also thinking this might be contributing to the lack of interest :thumb: The vet has found sharp points on his back teeth as well though and so I've suggested that these should be removed asap :thumb: It's surprising that he's developed any as he and Scooter are such good hay nommers :(

Have you tried mixing it with Readigrass? Scarlet used to prefer readigrass to hay. With hindsight we think this was due to her dental issues and readigrass is softer. Teeth issues aren't always obvious unless the rabbit can be examined under GA. A low dose of metacam might tell you more about whether it's teeth related. If you bun ate hay with pain relief and not without it would indicate pain.

one of my boys, Mojo, slowly started eating less and less after becoming a single bun, he just lost his love of life and would only nibble on pellets and a tiny amount of grass but next to no hay :( but he is coupled again and his appetite is back to where it should be :)
so my first guess would be because he is now alone and used to being with another bun :)
but then again i could be wrong :)
good luck though!

one of my boys, Mojo, slowly started eating less and less after becoming a single bun, he just lost his love of life and would only nibble on pellets and a tiny amount of grass but next to no hay :( but he is coupled again and his appetite is back to where it should be :)
so my first guess would be because he is now alone and used to being with another bun :)
but then again i could be wrong :)
good luck though!

It's incredible how much they change when they loose their partner isnt it. Mini is slowly getting back to her normal self and eating a bit more hay but still not as much as before.

Thanks I have made another appointment for him to go in and have the 2 sharp points on his teeth chopped down. I'm still not convinced that's the answer but I am running out of ideas. He and his brother can see each other as there in the same room just separated by mesh.

I'm looking at getting the bonding done ASAP now that work is getting a bit quieter

It's incredible how much they change when they loose their partner isnt it. Mini is slowly getting back to her normal self and eating a bit more hay but still not as much as before.

it is, i found it quite heartbreaking to watch as he just became worse and worse, he didnt seem to get over his loss until he was re-coupled. and he had to wait ages cuz he had to have the snip before he could be bonded (as his previous buddy was a male and it was urgent for him to have it done before)

Dave i hope the teeth being fixed helps but if its not that then perhaps you will have your answer? hopefully you will have the oppurtunity to rebond them soon :)

Back