• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent please can you help , milo not keeping himself clean (dont know what to do)

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

I really need all your expert advice,
I posted recently about Milo who has EC, he has been left slightly incontinent, and does not get around like he used to,
He has recently became not only a little wet underneath but is not producing firm poos at all, so has constantly got squidgy poop on his underside,He is obviously unable to clean himself. He has had bum washes, but next day back the same again.
I have been cutting down his dry food slowly this week, and have almost cut all his fresh, only giving a tiny amount, in the hope that eating lots of hay (which is always available) will help firm him up. so far it's not happening,

Please tell me how to deal with this, How do I get him firmed up????
I can't bum wash him every day.
I had to put sudocrem on his male bits lastnight as it was sore. Getting worried for the winter months as he's always down in the wet run, doesn't like the stairs anymore.

PLEASE HELP

Sorry - can't be much help. What I would recommend is really upping his hay - best thing for teeth and, more importantly in this case, the gut.

I see you say you are gradually reducing his pellets: what I would aim for is a reduction to an eggcupful a day (don't know how much you were feeding before you started reducing.

To encourage more hay eating, you could try different types so there is a variety on offer. Hay4Pets do a sample pack free, you just pay postage.

Please be ultra vigilant re Flystrike, he is a very high risk.

When you say he is 'not producing any hard poo at all' do you mean that all his output is unformed and soft ? If so this requires very prompt Veterinary attention.

Is he on any medication at the moment ?

Is he urinary incontinent too and is he drinking a lot ?

i am being very vigilant with the fly stryke issue, i have rear guard,
not sure if he is producing any really well formed poo at all?,there seemed to be some rounder poops stuck to his fur yesterday every day i check under him and he has squidgy poo stuck to him, he isn't on any medication, yes he is urinary incontinent, it's hard to tell if he is drinking loads as he shares his bowl of water with marley,
I am hoping the hay will harden it up
Thanks for your help, i need all the help i can get at the mo,

i am being very vigilant with the fly stryke issue, i have rear guard,
not sure if he is producing any really well formed poo at all?,there seemed to be some rounder poops stuck to his fur yesterday every day i check under him and he has squidgy poo stuck to him, he isn't on any medication, yes he is urinary incontinent, it's hard to tell if he is drinking loads as he shares his bowl of water with marley,
I am hoping the hay will harden it up
Thanks for your help, i need all the help i can get at the mo,

Has he had a recent blood test to check his renal function ? EC can cause kidney damage and renal failure may be the primary cause of his problems now.

Is he losing weight ? If so then he really cant go onto a hay only diet. I would still advise you to go back to the Vet at the earliest opportunity.

no he hasn't had blood tests, He had lost weight earlier in the year but seemed to gain it again over the summer, this was after a 28 day course of panacur, I will take him to the vets on monday, and see what he weighs at the same time

no he hasn't had blood tests, He had lost weight earlier in the year but seemed to gain it again over the summer, this was after a 28 day course of panacur, I will take him to the vets on monday, and see what he weighs at the same time

Good luck, I hope the Vet can help him to feel more comfortable xx

YIPEE Milo has lovely golden poops, i spotted him popping some out earlier, I am so relieved, his underside is only a tiny bit dirty now.
VERY HAPPY, I think I will keep his veggies at a bare minimum from now on, as he would eat them rather than the hay, Lets hope he stays clean

Back