PDA

View Full Version : Do slugs like nuggets?

k.mdaniels
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
The slugs seem to be out in force at the moment.

The past couple of mornings I've woke up to find slug trails in Leons hutch:shock: Even worse they are in his bowl as well:(

I have a copper strip at the bottom of Leons hutch which seemed to be working for a while but now there back. I have re-newed part of the copper strip (didnt have much left) but still found trails afterwards. I will get more copper.

I have now some beer out and found a few small ones in it. I dont really want to kill them but I dont want them in the hutches either! I read somewhere that slugs dont like rough surface but they are trailing of stones to get to Leons hutch and I did see a small trail along the hay too so thats not the case.

Leons hutch is next to a patch of soil, so I think thats why they go for his hutch and not Sammys but whats attracting them? Is it the nuggets?

Last night I picked up six big slugs from the area of Leons hutch..........I hate them!

Any other ideas?

Stator
08-09-2012, 08:49 AM
They'll eat anything if they are hungry enough. Do you have much else for them to eat in your garden? A potted herb or something might draw them away from the hutch.

katie88
08-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I have this trouble too. Sometimes I catch them in the act, squeezing through the holes in the wire! The girls don't seem to mind, in fact I caught misfit trying to eat a snail the other day :oops: But it would be nice to keep them away nonetheless.

Mine only get a small amount of pellets in the morning so there's never any left in their bowl when the slugs come out. I don't know what it is that attracts them.

I'd be interested in any solutions too. By the way where do you get copper strips from? Not tried that myself.

k.mdaniels
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
They'll eat anything if they are hungry enough. Do you have much else for them to eat in your garden? A potted herb or something might draw them away from the hutch.

I just got some copper strips off ebay

k.mdaniels
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Well they never go to Sammys hutch but Sammy lives for his food so there's never anything left in his bowl:) but Leon can sometimes have nuggets left from the next day.

I will try the potted herb idea, thanks

Stator
08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Spraying WD40 on a surface is supposed to stop them slithering up it, but obviously only lasts until it rains.

yvette
08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
A circle of salt around the cage...that will stop them.It kills them I know but it keeps them away...

DemiS
08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Salt or crushed up egg shell is supposed to keep them away. I think they must smell the rabbit food as I often find them weaved into the mesh on the top floor of Baby's hutch (where I feed her), eurgh horrible things, it's not nice having to try unweave a load of giant slugs from mesh using a big stick :roll:

Mrsmcarey
08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I used the lids of the two part curry jars from aldi, they are just the right size for the hutch feet and filled them with salt sorted my problem, also I put a saucer of unwanted food outside the hutch snails welcome and the hedgehog eats the slugs :D

Jenova
08-09-2012, 04:50 PM
They love rabbit food. I just leave them a pile of it on the floor and they eat that instead of going in to eat it. :)
Someone on here said they like cucumber so I'm going to get some of that and chop it up for them. I'll just leave it under the hutch.

Stator
08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Although don't feed them too much or it will encourage them to breed :?

Alison Marie
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the other day poor Buttons looked terrified - they were crawling across her hutch! Yuck. Circle of salt soon stopped them :)

Pebblesetc
10-09-2012, 03:16 PM
The slugs we had last year preferred Buckley's poops to his food. Salt and coffee grounds keep away slugs and ants which is always handy.

Gem
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
A circle of salt around the cage...that will stop them.It kills them I know but it keeps them away...

Exactly this, bloody brilliant, I don't like finding piles of slime where they used to be though :(

I hate seeing them weaving their way through the mesh on the hutches :roll: