• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumps on Rabbits Back

Niknok1311

New Kit
My rabbit is an dwarf lop that is kept indoors.

I noticed a lump about the size of a 20p piece just above his tail bone. On closer inspection the skin on and around the lump is flaky. I pressed the lump to see if it was a hard or soft mass. It was soft and moved around when I touched it. His fur also appears to be coming out in small clumps in this area. I had noticed the fur loss but has put it down to the fact that he has recently casted his old fur. I plan on taking him to the vet on Monday but would just like some views on what this could be. I did a little check online and one possiblility could be the common mite for Rabbits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicola

It sounds like mites :) and it sounds exactly like what our rabbit Poppy has at the moment. We took her to the vets yesterday and they gave us some spot on :) if you brush out the excess fur and when the vet gives you spot on stuff make sure it's by the neck, you have to spread it out though but not far enough down the back so it can't be groomed out... :lol: it's usually 2 tube things, but we had to spread it out as there wasn't enough neck :lol: we left it about 2 hours between applications :D

When our other rabbit Leo had mites he had them really bad but his previous owners couldn't be bothered with it :roll: his took 2 weeks to clear completely but Poppy's is already looking better :)

I don't think you can buy it, I think you can only get the flea stuff. The vet will know though :)

We think it is the weather that has caused this as Poppy is also an indoor bun :) its been very hot in my bf's room lately which is where she lives :)

Last edited:
If it is a case of mites, how long does the treatment last?

Kinda hope it is mites because it means it's common ailment and easy to cure.

If it is a case of mites, how long does the treatment last?

Kinda hope it is mites because it means it's common ailment and easy to cure.

Our 2 tubes were administered in a day :D with Leo it was 2 days but we had a week and a half of pulling all of the nasty stuff off him and cleaning the patch of skin that was showing from them.

But Poppy has them just on her fur at the ends so we've been brushing her a few times a day and I think it'll be alright in a few days after brushing her some more :)

The vet will know but it definitely sounds like mites :)

Back