• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nibbles broke his front teeth clean off last night...

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
BF thinks he was chewing bars on the hutch and got spooked, jumped, forgot to let go. I rushed home from work and when I saw him in the vets I was like :shock: They were only hanging on by a little bit of skin so the vet snipped it. He now has no front teeth. :(

How long could we expect it to take for the teeth to grow back? He's very quiet, bless him. He keeps gumming the BF's feet too, he used to nip for attention. :lol:

He's got Metacam and Fibreplex to help him along with the pain and we're back at the vets on Tuesday. Seems to be eating fine though - no pellets obv, just hay and herbs, he doesn't seem to like baby food very much (who can blame him?)

Thats really something you need to ask your vet. If he now has no teeth at all then I wouldnt think they would grow back, but if he's just chipped the ends off thats different.

eta- Is there a particular reason you're not feeding him pellets, or recovery food, instead of baby food? I'd expect baby-food to be too high in sugar, or have non-bunny ingredients like potato in.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bunny. He should still be able to eat his pellets as they use their lips to pick them up and chew them with their back teeth....They should grow again, hopefully aligned so they will wear one another down as they have been doing.

once his mouth is healed, he can eat pellets :thumb: he might not want to atm because he's sore!

If his teeth have totally come out, root and all they won't grow back! His peg teeth may grow through but no guarentees :wave:

Thats really something you need to ask your vet. If he now has no teeth at all then I wouldnt think they would grow back, but if he's just chipped the ends off thats different.

eta- Is there a particular reason you're not feeding him pellets, or recovery food, instead of baby food? I'd expect baby-food to be too high in sugar, or have non-bunny ingredients like potato in.

Vet advised not to feed him pellets until they had grown back. what would you recommend feeding him? We aren't sure where they've broken off, hopefully will be able to tell on Tuesdaye vet.
As I mentioned, he is quite happy to eat herbs and hay so prob won't be bothering with baby food anyway :)

Sorry to hear about your bunny. He should still be able to eat his pellets as they use their lips to pick them up and chew them with their back teeth....They should grow again, hopefully aligned so they will wear one another down as they have been doing.

Yeah, he's having probs picking the food up at the moment! Hopefully any swelling will go down soon :)

once his mouth is healed, he can eat pellets :thumb: he might not want to atm because he's sore!

If his teeth have totally come out, root and all they won't grow back! His peg teeth may grow through but no guarentees :wave:

I don't *think* the root has come out so fingers crossed!

Vet advised not to feed him pellets until they had grown back. what would you recommend feeding him? We aren't sure where they've broken off, hopefully will be able to tell on Tuesdaye vet.
As I mentioned, he is quite happy to eat herbs and hay so prob won't be bothering with baby food anyway :)

I'd reccommend soaked pellets and/or SS Recovery or Oxbow Critical Care.

Mole has had two ops to remove his incisors (they protrude). Roots have been removed each time but one has still managed to grow back, so suspect it will only be a temp problem for your bun. A couple of weeks maybe? Pellets that have been softened/pre-soaked should help.... :wave:

Many thanks! Where can I buy those?

Well soaked pellets are just your normal pellets with water added, some like Excel keep their shape, others go soggy/disintergrate and its probably better to mash those up into a paste.

You can get the two recovery foods from your vet, but it would be cheaper to get them online - the hay experts or animed or vetuk should have them. There isnt a lot of difference between the two from your point of view, as you wont be syringing it. He'll probably take it from a bowl. I think SS is meant to be easier to syringe, or Oxbow CC finegrind. They are all basically powders that you mix with water to create liquid food, I always have some in my bunny medicine box, in case a bun stops eating or needs a dental.

If he eats his soaked pellets though, that is essentially the same thing, depending on your pellet brand.

Well soaked pellets are just your normal pellets with water added, some like Excel keep their shape, others go soggy/disintergrate and its probably better to mash those up into a paste.

You can get the two recovery foods from your vet, but it would be cheaper to get them online - the hay experts or animed or vetuk should have them. There isnt a lot of difference between the two from your point of view, as you wont be syringing it. He'll probably take it from a bowl. I think SS is meant to be easier to syringe, or Oxbow CC finegrind. They are all basically powders that you mix with water to create liquid food, I always have some in my bunny medicine box, in case a bun stops eating or needs a dental.

If he eats his soaked pellets though, that is essentially the same thing, depending on your pellet brand.

Thanks :) Nibbles has a mix of Excel and Science Selective pellets so I might try the Excel ones to start with.

Back