• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What Should I ask Vet

Janey

Warren Veteran
Eoke up this morning & Pixie who was her normal bouncy self last night def isnt this morning. Not interested in food & very lethargic.

I have the vets at 5:30 but unfortunately not my normal rabbit savvy vets, they had no appts and are quite far away so perhaps best not to stress her with such a journey anyway.

I just wanted to check that if they can't find anything wrong or diagnose stasis what do I need to ensure they give? I know metacam but what else? My mind has gone blank.

I was already stressed over bunnies, now....well, im on the edge of....I dont even know what-argh :-(

Painkiller
Gut stimulant

It depends what they find and it they consider it "just" stasis or there's something underlying it.

I'd be more concerned about the actual examination and how thorough they are rather than what they prescribe. Did you tell your usual rabbit savvy vets your rabbit's symptoms? I would have hoped if they are your regular vets that they would squeeze you in as an emergency - mine always do. If I got up to a rabbit who was not eating and lethargic I wouldn't be happy about waitiing so long for treatment in case it's a blockage or something equally serious.

I should just tell the vet her symptoms.Ask could it be stasis..her teeth,,bloat...gut stimulants,metaclopromide,pain relief..just ask for the lot.I certainly would.

Thank you very much.

They do have an appt but at 3, I have a meeting at 2 I cant miss so would never be able to get there on time.

Ive come home at lunch and she came out of her cage & flopped, shes currently lying on my knee on the sofa,she almost seems scared (you know when they kind of quiver at the vets), but I dont see why she would be. Ive only had her a few weeks so am still kind of unaware what is entirely abnormal behaviour & what isnt which makes it tricky (i mean just for her personally, i know rabbits in general).

Back