• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if I've done right thing

Embo

Young Bun
Hi all,
Tiffany went to the vet today to be spayed. They called and said everything went fine and she was sleepy but was coming round. I fetched her this evening. Theo spent the day at the vets with her as they are never apart really.
Seeing as they said to keep her nice and warm we put them in the big cage we have for cold nights in the garage. She is laid out with her head on the ramp to the upper floor and hasn't moved for a good 2 hours. I felt her ears and feet and she wasn't too warm so I have placed her fleecy blanket over her and placed their pet friendly hot water bottle by her side and pushed some straw around her.
However theo, being in a cage all day is full of beans! Jumping all over her and pulling off her blanket. So in the end I have put him back in their normal hutch with the run attached. I'm planning on putting them back together first thing in the morning but am fretting now they might fall out after a night apart!
She just looked so poorly but I'm not sure if I did the right thing separating them?
Emily x

if she is still very groggy and he is pestering her i would have seperated them as well. i would think if she is a bit brighter tomorrow they will be fine together, she probably didn't notice too much he wasn't there! failing that can they still see each other or put so they can?

remember as the temperatures drop overnight Tiffany will get colder, especially if still sleepy. also she needs to be eating as soon as possible.
hope she soon recovers. :D

Thankyou for the quick reply:D I might stop having chest pains now with worrying so much!!!!!!! She so wasn't bothered I had taken him out! Like you said, I don't think she even noticed. I have tucked her in nice and warm and will pop out to the garage before bed and re-heat her pet pad for her. They stay warm for about 6 hours so with a top up it should stay warm most of the night.
She hasn't eaten yet but her food is right there next to her if she fancies it. Tbh, she still seems pretty out of it.
Not used to it as I had theo done and he came home and was bouncing around within an hour lol, so to see a poorly girl is worrying.
But thanks for the reassurance, hoping for a brighter bunny in the morning x

How is Tiffany now?
I think vet should have told you to keep her warm.
I do hope she is moving about by now, have you offerd her a drink from a bowl.
You did well to wrap her up to get her warm.

Hi,

I hope your bunny is feeling better in the morning.

Shimmer was very cold and didn't move at all after her spay. I was convinced the vet gave her too much anaesthetic! She actually went into stasis so, not to worry you, but if she hasn't moved or eaten/pood by first thing in the morning I'd get her straight back to the vet for a gut stimulant. Hope it won't be needed though :)

Also, if she's not moving she might not be able to get to her water, you could try syringing her water by hand. That's what I did and Shimmer took the water willingly so she must have been thirsty. I think anaesthetic makes them thirsty, I'm sure my vet said something like that. It makes their mouth feel dry.

Hope all goes well xxx

personally, given the very cold nights, I would bring her in for the night and also keep a close watch on her. The GA means they cannot control temperature very well for a while and may get very cold indeed and then slip into stasis.

personally, given the very cold nights, I would bring her in for the night and also keep a close watch on her. The GA means they cannot control temperature very well for a while and may get very cold indeed and then slip into stasis.

Me too :thumb:

Also I would offer her food by hand and water too

i'm not medical and not an expert on rabbits, but i've noticed that mine attack a vulnerable bun, so you did well to keep you poor girl separate. i hope she has pain relief. i am so sorry for her. my tabby was very bad after the spay (she's a rabbit, not a cat!) but cecile was a happy bunny within hours. hope tiffany feels better soon.

I kept twinkle inside for just one night in a dog cage. I tempted her with anything she would eat which included a couple of shreedies, not ideal i know but it got her up and wanting more food. Prior to that she fell asleep on my mum for a couple of hours and was so out of it she wee'd down my mums top and it dripped on to the floor:lol:. Next day she was fine, i just kept pestering her with food and i reckon she ate to keep me quiet:oops:

Thanks all!
She has eaten (phew!) and had a little wander about so im much happier. She has gone back to sleep but I made her all warm and she seems as happy as she can be.
I was going to bring her inside as I did with theo when he was done, but she really doesn't like to be in the house, she gets pretty stressed. The hutch is in an enclosed garage and is quite sheltered. I've put plenty of straw down for her and she has her fleece and pet pad.
I never thought to use a syringe for her water, that's a brill idea. I put her bottle right near her but wish id thought of that. But she is moving around a bit now so I guess she will get a drink.
Thanks again everyone, I feel quite reassured (although maybe I should have made her come indoors?) this is a really nice and helpful place to be:love:

My buns both had a water bowl after their ops. I would really recommend it as they prefer it and it's easier to use for them, especially after an op.

I've switched to a bowl permanently now as they definitely drink a lot more now than they did from a bottle.

Hope Tiffany is feeling a little better today but it's still early days - tomorrow she will be much better. If she gets stressed at coming indoors then you did the right thing leaving her outside in the environment she is used to. They don't tend to want dried food straight after the spay but prefer grass or spring greens if she is used to eating that. Also lots of hay.

Glad Tiffany is looking better this morning, it's heartbreaking to see them looking so ill and not be able to do much for them.

I agree with Tonibun above me about their choice of food after an op, Shimmer wasn't bothered with her dried food which she normally loves, all she'd eat at first was grass and then a bit of parsley.

Hope Tiffany continues to improve xx

Well I'm sure Tiffany slept better than I did last night!!!!
She's laid out all her length basking in the sun right now. She is still a bit lethargic but is moving around, has had some greens and a drink!
It's nice to be able to talk to people who understand. If I had a pound for everytime I heard 'she's just a rabbit' yesterday I would be very rich right now. I would never say that to someone- I love her so much, she's not just a rabbit to me.
Anyway, will keep checking on her but so far so good.

i'm glad to hear she is up and about, they can be a worry and as you have noticed the males seem to be up and about much quicker after a neuter than the females but then the male op isn't as intrusive as the females.

just be careful your male doesn't try nibbling her stitches when you put them back together!

this is a great forum, always someone to help or just listen and they are never 'just a rabbit' on here! :D

Back