• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Twinkle leaving me?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Twinkle has had her ongoing health problems over the years, but today I have started to think she is slipping away, or I will have to let her go :(

She has limped for a long time, but now she is more unsteady and seems to have a constant awkward stance, she always seems to be looking and leaning to one side. She feels bony and is moulting badly so just looks terrible :(

I think I am going to have to make an appointment with the vets. Maybe I am wrong. Anyone any suggestions or similar situations?

I don't have any words of wisdom I'm afraid! But just wanted to post that I hope Twinkle picks up soon! Both of mine are still moulting because of our silly summer theyve never really stopped moulting!! sending lots of vibes!! I know she has caecum troubles like my Daisy! (((hugs)))

Didn't want to read and run, I'm sorry Twinkle is having these issues. :(
I hope your vet can give you some advice to help with your bunny's ongoing care or possible last gift of love. I will be thinking of you and Twinkle and sending vibes and prayers for a good outcome for you both. (((((((((Hugs))))))))

Lots of vibes for little Twinkle.
I can't remember all of Twinkle's health problems, sorry, but could she have arthritis on one side/in one hip? Muesli has a kind of lean and its because he has arthritis worse on one side than the other. We manage it with pain relief & glucosamine and he has also had a course of acupuncture which made a big difference I think. Sorry if this info is useless, just thought I would mention.
Hope she will be ok. x

Lots of vibes for little Twinkle.
I can't remember all of Twinkle's health problems, sorry, but could she have arthritis on one side/in one hip? Muesli has a kind of lean and its because he has arthritis worse on one side than the other. We manage it with pain relief & glucosamine and he has also had a course of acupuncture which made a big difference I think. Sorry if this info is useless, just thought I would mention.
Hope she will be ok. x

My vet thinks she has some arthritic pain, nothing significant showed up on xrays. She has been on metacam twice daily for months now, but she is getting worse. She falls over a lot to one side too. She also has caecam problems so is on a restricted diet.

What is glucosamine?

Your info is not useless! Dont be silly.

We had to have ours PTS this week, an awful decision to have to make but we know it was the right one.

I think you just know when the time is right.

It sounds cold but I have to try and remove my emotion from it all, if a friend was telling me it was their bunny what would I advise, and if it was a bunny io hadn't loved for years but had only just met what would I do. I find if I can answer those questions it helps me a lot.

Sending hugs x

Thanks. Sorry to hear of Twinkle's problems.

Glucosamine is like a supplement that can help with arthritis - I think there is not conclusive evidence as to whether it definitively helps, but is reported to help in humans I think. The one I use is called ArthriAid, I give 0.5ml to Muesli daily in a syringe, its available from Vet UK. I think acupuncture made a bigger difference for him.

Really hope Twinkle can remain comfortable, bless her, sending vibes x

Back