• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
I had in my head I want a playhouse, but now I'm not sure.. If I have a playhouse for Don and Lola they lose run space which is where they spend nearly all of their time..

Do I get a double hutch instead? If I can find a 6ft one cheap enough then I'll go for it, otherwise would a 5ft double be okay? They would have the same run set up, so a 6x4 run and 7x3 run. Now we have sorted the rain issue, it's accessibility. At the minute it's a mission to clean them out everyday because I need to get in the run. If I had a double hutch I could have it so the door at the bottom on the right would be where their litter tray goes and I could get to it easily.

I'm at a loss at the moment, haven't got a clue what to do..

I'm not a huge fan of playhouses, they don't have a large footprint. I would go with a single storey 6ft hutch and not a 5ft double as the ramp would take quite a bit of space and be steep. With your existing runs I think that's the best option. I always mount the runs onto the back of the hutch and have a small door, so you can clean out the whole hutch from the outside without moving the run.

I'm not a huge fan of playhouses, they don't have a large footprint. I would go with a single storey 6ft hutch and not a 5ft double as the ramp would take quite a bit of space and be steep. With your existing runs I think that's the best option. I always mount the runs onto the back of the hutch and have a small door, so you can clean out the whole hutch from the outside without moving the run.

They have a single 6ft atm, I can't get into it easily though. I can't really do anything regarding moving it as the shed it about 3ft away from the setup. If I could move the run so the bedroom door opens into the run and I can get into the main bit of the hutch to their litter tray. I can't move it though as the main bit of the hutch is 4 and a half foot. Not really getting anywhere am I :lol:

I don't think I understand what u mean with the layout :oops: Would something like what I did with the hutch half over the run work? The people who made my hutch r based in Birmingham so delivery prob wouldn't be that much for u. Was only £150 for 6x3 and I think it's really spacious, my 2 seem very happy in it and have plenty of room to move about. Personally I'm not keen on doubles :?

I find rabbits love sheds and playhouses. I think they feel more protected than in a hutch and also there is better weather pprotection than in a hutch. Rabbits also love levels or shelves, somethinng to jump on to which you can provide easier in a shed or playhouse.

This is the set up :) When the weather starts getting bad and I'm cleaning them out everything will get soaked :( It stresses me out so much..

IMAG1063.jpg

I'm so confused on what to do.. If I get a playhouse, they will lose the wooden run as that will be re-used to secure the inside of the playhouse, but keep the 7 x 3 metal run to be attached to it. They would have extra supervised space with the open top metal run. But tbh I would like them to have more inside space (dry) than they have atm. The decking the wooden run is on will have the playhouse on top so it keeps it further off the ground.

Last edited:
If the main issue is rain how about putting up a gazebo over the whole lot during the wetter months?

I went from a hutch with run to a playhouse with run attached and have never looked back. It is so much easier in the winter to clean out and they are nice and cosy in there but they can still have access to a run or you can lock them in safely.

They are also useful if you have to give meds etc.

If the main issue is rain how about putting up a gazebo over the whole lot during the wetter months?

We tried it but the run wouldn't open all the way. Whether it was the gazebo we tried I don't know (it was 6m x 3m), (it was very awkward in our garden :lol:) there are some normal sized ones in jtf so I thought about just buying one of those for it. It's access too, it's doing my head in :lol:

I went from a hutch with run to a playhouse with run attached and have never looked back. It is so much easier in the winter to clean out and they are nice and cosy in there but they can still have access to a run or you can lock them in safely.

They are also useful if you have to give meds etc.

What size run do you have? I feel bad for giving them less run space but I suppose it would be better in the long run as it would be easier to give them fresh hay and change their water rather than spending 5 minutes uncovering them all the time.

I just had a think and the decking is 6 x 4.. so I could have a 6 x 4 playhouse :)roll: DUH! :lol:) I'll have to run it by my mom but it would look better and it's not got any difference in height. That would ease my mind then, the 7 x 3 run would be okay then :lol: would just need more mesh!

I'm looking on so many different sites like there is no tomorrow! My mom is going to rung the builders yard down the road to see how much they would charge. But it will be October before I could really buy anything, (my car is proving pretty expensive this month :cry:)

What size run do you have? I feel bad for giving them less run space but I suppose it would be better in the long run as it would be easier to give them fresh hay and change their water rather than spending 5 minutes uncovering them all the time.

We have actually moved to a dog kennel now which is better. Not exactly how we planned as it is one big main living area now (we acquired another bun and couldn't bond). Mine do get a lot of free range time so can't remember how big the run was at the time.

Back