• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Injured leg, immediate vets or give it a few minutes?

Stator

Warren Veteran
Wally got spooked, ran into a mesh fence and is now not standing on one of his front legs.

Do you take them to the vets immediately or give them a few minutes to see if it's just a slight strain or something?

I'd give it 15-30 minutes as it could just be shock.

May need a dose of metacam to stop any pain and inflamation if its just a bang or something perhaps.

Thanks for the reply

I brought him in for an examination and couldn't see or feel anything obviously wrong. He is still holding it up but does use it if required (ie to get away from me after I examined him). He ate two treats, so I guess it isn't unbearable pain for him. Need to see if it gets better but he's just sat down so I can't tell :(

Biscuit did this after jumping 4ft from the top of a dog crate. He limped for the first few hops and sat down. I phoned the vets, they said to monitor him for an hour. After 40 minutes or so he was hoppng around completely normally but they said for me to give him a dose of metacam just to ease through any discomfort, rather than pain he would be going through.

Maybe if he's still the same within the hour, pop to the vets for a quick check and dose of metacam? The fact he's eating and would put weight on it when required suggests it may just be a tad sore perhaps, like if we bang our hands in a door or something?

Biscuit did this after jumping 4ft from the top of a dog crate. He limped for the first few hops and sat down. I phoned the vets, they said to monitor him for an hour. After 40 minutes or so he was hoppng around completely normally but they said for me to give him a dose of metacam just to ease through any discomfort, rather than pain he would be going through.

Maybe if he's still the same within the hour, pop to the vets for a quick check and dose of metacam? The fact he's eating and would put weight on it when required suggests it may just be a tad sore perhaps, like if we bang our hands in a door or something?

I feel like banging my head on a door, being a rabbit owner can be so stressful. Poor boy is currently on baytril for sneezing, would have to go to the vets for metacam :(

He just jumped onto the platform voluntarily so I think that's a good sign. Was worried he was just going to sit around for hours and I wouldn't know anything. Annoyingly he's off camera now though :?

Thanks, he's sitting still so don't know if he's in pain or not :?

Is that normal for him? have you tried getting him to move to see if he can use his leg? really hope that everything is OK with him, they are just so fragile

Hope he is OK. Jumping onto a platform does sound promising. If he is still not putting weight on the foot I would get him checked over by the vet sooner than later.

He's just been out for his evening exercise and seemed all okay. It didn't stop him hopping around and eating grass and he was using both legs. He might have been a bit lifting his leg a little bit but that may just be me being paranoid because they do sometimes lift one leg when they stop for a minute. Eat his dinner too :)

Thanks for the support everyone :)

He's just been out for his evening exercise and seemed all okay. It didn't stop him hopping around and eating grass and he was using both legs. He might have been a bit lifting his leg a little bit but that may just be me being paranoid because they do sometimes lift one leg when they stop for a minute. Eat his dinner too :)

Thanks for the support everyone :)

Sounds like bunny is OK, well done, pleased he seems to be OK

Hope he's ok. I have had similar with Nutmeg before, she must've caught her foot a little jumping off something and held it up for about 24 hours, took her to old vets who could find nothing wrong with her and that evening she was back to normal. I think sometimes it's a bit like us when we stub a toe badly, it hurts for a while but there's no major damage.

Back