• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent urgent !!!

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
We are leaving for the vets in 30mins and really need some help. Sadly we have to put our beloved rabbit Binky today. We will be taking him to the vet to do this. Our question is what is the best thing to do for his bonded partner. Should we take here to the vet ? Should we put his body in the carrier with her for the trip home or bring him separately and let her see him when we get home ? How long should we leave him out in order for her to understand what has happened ?

I'm sorry to hear your news.

I always take the bunnies everywhere together even for PTS.

If you aren't having a post mortem, then I would immediately put the bunny who is leaving back in with your rabbit for the ride home and leave them together in their normal housing until the other rabbit has stopped trying to wake the partner up. Sometimes they will sit and groom them for hours, and sometimes they will dig them to try and wake them up.

When all of this has ceased, you can be sure that your remaining rabbit knows what has happened and will accept they are gone. In this weather with flies around you won't be able to leave your bunny that has passed too long because sadly the body will start to perish. So maybe a couple of hours will do it. Then you can remove the body and fuss your other rabbit.

I normally partially wrap the deceased bunny in a towell in case the body starts to loose any fluids (sorry to be so graphic) and that way you will prevent any issues for your remaining bunny and any unpleasentness for you.

It's so hard because you will be distressed but it will be very important to your rabbit that lives on that she knows what has happened.

All the best for a peaceful passing.

Last edited:
We are leaving for the vets in 30mins and really need some help. Sadly we have to put our beloved rabbit Binky today. We will be taking him to the vet to do this. Our question is what is the best thing to do for his bonded partner. Should we take here to the vet ? Should we put his body in the carrier with her for the trip home or bring him separately and let her see him when we get home ? How long should we leave him out in order for her to understand what has happened ?

I'm so sorry to hear about Binky.

When my MrsR was taken to the vets to be PTS we took her partner with her as we knew we wanted MrsR cremated so was being left at the vets. After she was PTS we were able to show Rupert the body and he had a sniff and climb over her and after a few minutes came back to me.

I think if you are bringing Binky home then you can put him with his partner. I *think* you put them in together for about an hour, if you check and she is not bothering with Binky then you can take him out. However, if she is still sniffing about, sitting wıth the body etc. then check in another 30 minutes and so on.

I hope this is of a little help and this is only my understanding, I am no expert!

A little cuddly toy to go in with your little girl from tonight onwards may help her with her grief.

Thinking of you. x

Last edited:
Was just gonna say the same as the others.

Sad time for you. Vibes for a peaceful passing and vibes that your other bun accepts it quickly x

Back